cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Router?

thejudge
Rising Star

Recommended Router?

I have a Netgear DG834v3 ADSL router. It's never given me any trouble, and isn't at the moment.
However, it is over 7 years old now, and I have no illusions about it lasting for ever.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a new one (when the need arises) which will perform as well as the 834 on quite poor SNR/attenuation? ADSL wired only, not cable/fibre or wireless?
(If it matters, PC OS is W7 on the main rig, XP on the 2nd machine).
TIA.
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Recommended Router?

Netgear DG834v3 is a great little router, although I slightly prefer the DG834GT model.
These Netgears do go on forever, but their weak point is the mains PSU which produces less voltage with age !
I would suggest the Billion 7800,  as that has comparable ADSL performance, and gigabit network ports.
I bought mine for £16 'nearly new' on eBay, and have been very happy with it.
It is more common to see the "Billion 7800N" which is the same device but with WiFi, and correspondingly more expensive.
Wink
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Recommended Router?

I changed to a Billion 8800NL for my DSL line which has been a problem with the plusnet issued Technicolor.  Lost PPP session once or twice a week when it was good and more often when it was bad and the odd lost sync every other week when it was good, but since getting a Billion those issues have gone.  Except for work being carried out that forces a lost sync or gateway problems, I have not lost a PPP session let alone sync since September since getting it.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November