Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Router Modem - Fibre

martinsteer
Dabbler

Hi
Currently using PN Hub one as a temp replacement for Netgear D7000v2, which was a seriously bad purchase.
What are the recommendations please (not into gaming etc)

16 REPLIES 16
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Recommended Router Modem - Fibre

I was going to suggest the Netgear D7000, I have one, no issues, so very surprised at your comments! 

What was your issues?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Currently, routers appear to be sold on the basis of their WiFi capabilities rather than their router features.

So you can waste a lot of money if you only need occasional wifi.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

martinsteer
Dabbler

Thanks VileReynard,, but this doesn't answer my question.

martinsteer
Dabbler

Issues started approx 3weeks after I upgraded to unlimited fibre, which were frequent wireless dropouts, and repeatedly having to reset router due to loss of internet on wired connections. Engineers have been out twice and not really come up with anything. All tests showing good.
Didn't get the hub one router due to  poor reviews on performance. Things came to a head just before Xmas, when Laptops, Sky & TV etc wouldn't even recognise SSID. Printer wouldn't connect due to showing poor wifi signal. Bit the bulett and got the hub one more of a trial and error and process of elimination. Lo & behold .... everything has it should be and continues to be the case almost 3 weeks later.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Equally your answers don't answer the issues.

Changing routers, without identifying the underlying issue will not help.

Not many people on here will know much about the D7000, but for me at least it works.

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware?

What are the entries in the event log when you have an issue?

Is it just wireless connections, or are wired connects also affected?

martinsteer
Dabbler

Mustrum

I asked a simple question, I expect a simple answer, not your life story or a lecture on micro quantum physics. 😡
You asked what the issues were, and out of basic courtesy I told you. I did not ask for yours or anyone elses diagnostic input.
I merely asked what the recommended Router Modem would be (as an alternative to the bog standard Hub one) .... A perfectly simple question !

What the issue is, the ins and outs and technical clap trap are not relevent, so just go and be pedantic somewhere else !

Oh and by the way, I am a qualified electronics technician myself !!

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@martinsteer  but I gave you a simple answer in my first reply!

You have reached a conclusion that the issue is the router. But have provided no information or reason how the conclusion has been reached.

My experience has been its an excellent router, so with some experience on the subject am thinking your issue may be elsewhere!

martinsteer
Dabbler

Hi,

Just reposting this due to [-Censored-] replies to my original post.

Currently using PN Hub one as a temp replacement for Netgear D7000v2, which was a seriously bad purchase.
What are the recommendations please (not into gaming etc)

Moderators Note: Avoidance of swear filter removed.

VileReynard
Hero

At least its not a "technical" issue.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

Two topics from OP on same subject moved.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

The first and obvious question @martinsteer is how deep are your pockets? It's all very well asking for recomendations but a price guide would be helpful. For my 10ps worth I'd recommend a DrayTek Vigor but they don't come cheap.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@martinsteer wrote:

Mustrum

I asked a simple question, I expect a simple answer, not your life story or a lecture on micro quantum physics. 😡
You asked what the issues were, and out of basic courtesy I told you. I did not ask for yours or anyone elses diagnostic input.
I merely asked what the recommended Router Modem would be (as an alternative to the bog standard Hub one) .... A perfectly simple question !

What the issue is, the ins and outs and technical clap trap are not relevent, so just go and be pedantic somewhere else !

Oh and by the way, I am a qualified electronics technician myself !!

So as a qualified electronics technician one must assume that you have the skills to diagnose your problem. I suggest that you use those skills plus manufacturers data to find a suitable device.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

I am trying to understand the request here. The Netgear router does not do the job; The Hub One seems to work OK. It would therefore seem that the question has answered itself.

You can plug as many routers as you like in at the same time (although only one would be connected to the internet) and use and app on your phone to check the wifi signals.  Might produce interesting results.

Just my two penny worth

(TG who built electronic communication equipment before the transistor was invented)

VileReynard
Hero

Apparently in 1953 a solid-state radio receiver with four transistrons was demonstrated at the Düsseldorf Radio Fair.