Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended ADSL2+ modems?

conroc00
Dabbler

Recommended ADSL2+ modems?

Hi all,
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but as some of you are now on the new tech, I thought it the best place to ask.
I recently changed from a very (very!) stable solwise 715 that was built like a tank and maintained rock solid, fast connections for about five years. Sadly it didn't support ADSL2+ and as I'm due to swap over on the trial shortly I had to replace it. After much deliberation, I plumped for a Belkin N+, but over the last few days I've had numerous problems - can't connect to XBOX Live with it, veeery long resynch times that have ultimately resulted in a retrain from 8128/448 to 7072/448. While my solwise stats were:
Down synch rate Kbps 8128
Up synch rate Kbps 448

Downstream
Noise margin dB 8
Attenuation dB 23
Output power 22

Upstream
Noise margin dB 9
Attenuation dB 15
Output power 9

The belkin is now giving me
Down synch rate Kbps 7072
Up synch rate Kbps 448

Downstream
Noise margin dB 6.5
Attenuation dB 24.3
Output power 19.8

Upstream
Noise margin dB 25
Attenuation dB 14
Output power 11.9
So basically I think I'm going to return the belkin and look for a new router - despite my perfect synch getting mauled, poor tech support and an inability to connect to Xbox live have had me pulling my hair out tonight.
So, based on the albeit limited testing that's gone on so far, can anyone recommend a new wireless modem router for me? My main connection is wired, but the modem and the 360 live in the same room, just can't be wired up, so wireless range isn't really a massive concern. I just think I was spoilt with my solwise, and my expectations are pretty high for synching and stability!
Cheers,
Chris.
18 REPLIES 18
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Recommended ADSL2+ modems?

Edit: ignore V1 of this post, if you read it.
Personally I'm a fan of the Netgear DG834GT... Cool
Even better with the latest DGTeam firmware.  Cheesy
conroc00
Dabbler

Thanks!
That was on my shortlist, but I was put off by the number of people who complained that it gets very hot and many people have reported it just dies, possibly to do with the heat it generates. I take it from your positive recommendation you've not had any of these problems?
HPsauce
Pro

I've seen more than one fail, but then I've seen a lot of them.
There's actually a 2-year manufacturers warranty on them from Netgear which does work - I've used it!
Not noticed the heat particularly; there are much worse ones. I always use the feet and keep them vertical to improve airflow.
If you are somewhat technical buy a cheap ex-Sky one on fleabay then unlock & reflash it with Netgear or DGTeam firmware.
(they are a favourite among Be ADSL2+ users as an alternative to the standard model Be supply)
conroc00
Dabbler

Interesting ... thanks for the response.
I was also considering one of the Billion models, as chipsets are supposed to be pretty good with ADSL. Does anyone on the trial use Billion tech?
I'm aware that this may be more of a hardware thread than a trial thread, although it is ADSL2+ related. If the mods want to move it, feel free.

Cheers,
Chris.
Be3G
Grafter

I don't use a combined modem router, but I do use a Netgear ethernet modem which probably uses similar internals to their modem routers, and I can say that it's very good - it's holding a nice stable connection without missing a beat (I've currently been synched for 19 days).
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: conroc00
I was also considering one of the Billion models,

I can only give input from the Be network Forums and I don't think they work that well with their DSLAM's.
What BT are using is probably different though.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I know you are going up market, but whats wrong with the PN Supplied Thompson one at £6.99 P&P
conroc00
Dabbler

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I know you are going up market, but whats wrong with the PN Supplied Thompson one at £6.99 P&P

There's so many models on the market now it's hard to choose, and I was really looking at a good quality, well constructed replacement for my trusty solwise that would last me a number of years and be as future-proof as possible.
The good news is that I switched the xbox on this morning and it's connected through to live - I've got a feeling that the belkin wasn't accepting changes until it had a full restart, and that the web interface wans't always showing the true values. So a number of restarts with the ports forwarded, the MTU set to 1400 and switching upnp off then back on again seems to have had the desired effect. My synch rate also appears to have jumped back to 8128/448 ...
The bad news? I ordered a new Billion 7300N minutes before I realised all of this. Ho hum. I guess I'll take delivery of the billion and see how that fares up before I decide which one to keep, but at the minute the belkin looks a bit too flakey to keep for the long run.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: conroc00
I ordered a new Billion 7300N minutes before I realised all of this.

If you ordered it online you can just send it back unused for a full credit.
win2003
Grafter

Are the £6.99 models the Plusnet branded 585v7? Where do I go to buy or see the spec? Thanks.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the £6.99 is the Post and packing from Plus Net in certain circumstances you can get one issued free, I would think you qualify, if you leave before 12 month you have to pay the full price, PM James-eh
win2003
Grafter

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it does seem like a real bargain!
hulls
Grafter

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've signed up for the ADSL2 trial, and also asked for a new router (I don't think my 5 year old Belkin will handle it).  It struck me that I don't know if the adsl usb adapters I use will be ok for ADSL2.  Will I have to buy new adapters?
John
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Quote from: hulls
It struck me that I don't know if the adsl usb adapters I use will be ok for ADSL2.  Will I have to buy new adapters?

If you mean a USB modem then this will be replaced by the router being sent by PlusNet. If you mean wireless adaptors then your existing adaptors should be fine- although to make the most of your faster connection speed you should ensure your adaptors are 802.11g. Older 802.11b adaptors will work but are not able to operate with sufficient speed