Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for a Mac/PC image app

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Recommendations for a Mac/PC image app

Hi all,

I need a good imaging app for creating a company logo for my new company. Be nice if it were free, but if it is good and not too expensive then I don't mind paying a bit.

I've got a PC and a Mac so can use either, was reading good reviews about Photoshop Express, so I assume it will allow me to create a new imagine from scratch? I may as well give a go later and see how I get on.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Recommendations for a Mac/PC image app

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Once upon a time, Adobe would sell a licence for Photoshop for hundreds of pounds because they knew that businesses would just pay for it. But now this is no longer the case as Adobe want hobbyists and enthusiasts to use their software too and broaden their market to the wider audience.

For Photoshop on its own, it's something like £10 a month on the Adobe Creative Cloud (Adobe CC). It's basically an annual subscription service so you can pay for it once a month. This will also work on both Mac and PC. As someone who has paid top price for Photoshop in the past, I think this is a good deal.

You can also give it a 30 day trial to see if you like it (see if you can create your logo within 30 days *wink wink nudge nudge*).

https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud.html

The free trial is at least a look, you don't need to provide payment details or anything.. just sign up and download.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Oooh yep I could just get it for the Mac and just cancel when I no longer need it, I'll be using it for work anyway so having that on there will be useful anyway for other graphical work I may
have to do. I subscribed to Office 365 to have that on the Mac anyway.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Just be aware that after the 30 day trial is good while it lasts but when it expires it will ask you to pay for a year (at £10 a month). Would be better if it was a monthly contract but that isn't what they are currently offering.

There is also Paintshop Pro which is similar to Photoshop but this will cost about £90 for a the licence and not sure if it would work on both computers at the same time due to activation of the software. This also offers a free trial. Be aware that PSD files from Photoshop and PSP files from Paintshop Pro are not compatible with each other.

If you want to go the full 'free' route, Jims suggestion of GIMP is a good one but I personally do not get along with it. For a free app, its great though.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Not a lot of people know this one....   PhotoPosPro   it is almost the same as Photoshop and a really extesive menu of stuff you can do with it..

http://www.photopos.com/PPP3_BS/Default.aspx    ( not sure whether the download on this site is the FREE version or the Professional paid for )

so  

Here is a link to the FREE to download, and FREE to use...

https://photo-pos-pro.en.softonic.com/

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@jaread83 wrote:

If you want to go the full 'free' route, Jims suggestion of GIMP is a good one but I personally do not get along with it. For a free app, its great though.

Yeah gimp is the closest to Photo/Paint shop you can get free-wise but it is mind blowingly complex to use in comparison the last time i tried it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!