Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for AV, AS etc.,

colintivy
Rising Star

Recommendations for AV, AS etc.,

Hi folks!
It is me again!!  Relaunching myself into new laptop with Win7makes me want updates on Anti virus / anti spam programs. The built-in offer is for Norton but old experience with this and McAfee makes me cautious. One arrangement that I seem to remember was for a trio consisting of:- Avast + Malware + Superantispyware. All seem a bit OOT but perhaps MS bloatware with holes in it may need it. Any up to date ideas?
Huh
9 REPLIES 9
lexusuk
Grafter

Re: Recommendations for AV, AS etc.,

Hi Colintivy,
This subject has been long debated and is often a matter of opinion.  At home I use Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 for AV/Malware with Windows Firewall enabled.  I also run the occasional scan with Malwarebytes which works well for me.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Malwarebytes is a definite for me along with Adaware and Spybot S & D.
I also use CCleaner and AVG Free.
Many suggest AVG is now bloated and slow but I have no problems with it and, so far, have not had any infections with this setup on both my main PC and laptop.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Agree with above, Also for on-demand scanners ( Free versions ) I use Hitman Pro and S.A.S.
Hitman Pro here...http://www.surfright.nl/en
S.A.S. here...http://www.superantispyware.com/
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

look at the results from here http://www.av-comparatives.org/ and make your own mind up
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

You're right to be cautious.. I used McAfee years ago and it ended unhappily. I had to reinstall the os so many times once in one day that I swore I'd never use McAfee again (bad update screwed up the entire system leaving it unable to boot - despite multiple clean installs of the OS).
Norton.. I had problems there where it reset all my connections in Outlook to its own in built email scanner.. which didn't work as it was a trial version.. stuff that! Either give me the full scan or don't screw up my settings you f*****s.
AVG has gone down the pan and misses a lot of viral stuff.
Avast has been the best I've used (free). It's been trouble free mostly.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
colintivy
Rising Star

I have put Avast/Malwarebytes & Spybor S&D withiut apparent errors so far. All fairly slim on downloading, will have to see if they gobble up too much toime on start-up.  Thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I use avast myself and like it, but strongly recommend turning gaming mode on permanently as otherwise it'll scare you by randomly talking about updates and such (it does actually speak) - at least, it did me until I discovered the gaming mode option.
colintivy
Rising Star

I have found the voice, rather like that of my GPS lady "under the bonnet". She only told me that my version is up to date, which is not suprising since it had only been downloaded a few minutes! I have not found gaming mode yet, I do not indulge anyway.
Sorry about typos in my previous post, hopefull they did not make it unreadable.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not at all, didn't notice them to be honest Smiley
Gaming mode is just what they chose to call it I think, it just turns off all the intrusive alerts so it doesn't steal focus from any apps or talk to you. It'll still warn you if it needs updating though.