cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend me a router with decent firewall for fibre upgrade (or parental controls?)

nickascii
Grafter

Recommend me a router with decent firewall for fibre upgrade (or parental controls?)

Hi,

currently on plusnet adsl unlimited using a tp-link TD-W9970 as my modem/router

Its pretty solid and has a nice firewall built in e.g.

you add hosts, like "daughters phone" (either by IP or MAC address)

then you add schedules e.g. "kids": 6pm-8pm mon-fri, 5pm-9pm sat 7pm-8pm sun

finally you add rules e.g. allow "daughter's phone" on "kids" schedule.

Works well to control kids internet usage

Now looking at upgrading to plusnet fibre package but I guess the default router you get won't have anything like that kind of firewall built in ?

So what are my options, e.g. can you recommend me a router with decent firewall that works with plusnet fibre?

Or is there another solution e.g. maybe there are some parental controls plusnet offer that I don't know about ?

Thanks

Nick

3 REPLIES 3
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Recommend me a router with decent firewall for fibre upgrade (or parental controls?)

Your 9970 is VDSL and ADSL, so you could just carry on using that.

The PN Hub1 will have better WiFi speeds, but I don't beleive you have that level of access control. 

nickascii
Grafter

Re: Recommend me a router with decent firewall for fibre upgrade (or parental controls?)

Ah, ok so you're sure it will work with fibre ?

I have the older version 2

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/v2/

I'm sure I looked at this last year and it wasn't supported but I can't remember why. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It is a VDSL/ADSL router, there seem to be a few on here who use it, some in modem only mode. VDSL is what yo need for FTTC.

Compared to newer devices it’s Wifi is pretty slow though.