cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend me a mains networking kit please..

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Recommend me a mains networking kit please..

Ah funny you mention that as I was mulling over fitting a mains cable to the garage... and then using a ethernet over mains to fit a camera out there (saves making multiple holes in the wall) - so thanks for the tip!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may want to invest in a PoE version then and get a PoE camera as well. That way you can power the camera from the same source and not have to worry about batteries running out.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Of if a PoE camera's too pricey, you can get PoE injector-splitter kits, they are quite handy, I use them for my IPcam over my front door (which recently caught a burglar in the act of trying peoples doors, including ours, and the police have nabbed him on that evidence!!! Cheesy ), just a cheap chinese thing, but works perfectly... Smiley
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: 7up
Ah funny you mention that as I was mulling over fitting a mains cable to the garage...

I have TP-Link units linking to the garage.  Local unit by the router is TL-PA4010, then two remotes model TL-WPA4220 one at the back of the house providing LAN to the desktop PC as well as wireless coverage, and one in the garage/workshop.  I have to say they're very slightly flakey, with occasional drops in service for a few seconds or sometimes longer. 
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

thease look like a nice deal http://www.ebuyer.com/729002-d-link-av2-1000-hd-gigabit-starter-powerline-kit-dhp-601av-b?utm_source...
if your putting an ip cam on the end of an extension just buy a triple or quad socket header so you still get the 2 useable sockets and the camera/powerline adaptor don't take them both full time  that way you get to use cheaper kit and still only have 1 hole through the wall Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mook
You may want to invest in a PoE version then and get a PoE camera as well. That way you can power the camera from the same source and not have to worry about batteries running out.

Ok so what advantage would I gain there over a mains cable using ethernet over mains? - The way I was thinking was just to fit the mains supply cable (which I', going to need for DIY out there anyway) and then just run the ethernet down that - where an IP camera can be both powered and networked at the same time.
I'm not really quite so sure that an ethernet cable will be able to provide enough juice for an angle grinder... or a possible welder in the future!
nanotm
Pro

the extension wont provide the juice for high amp gear either, unless your planning on getting someone in to give you a new 30amp trip circuit and buying the  high amp "cooker main ring" cable which is a lot higher priced than the normal 13amp stuff
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Mook

Ok so what advantage would I gain there over a mains cable using ethernet over mains? - The way I was thinking was just to fit the mains supply cable (which I', going to need for DIY out there anyway) and then just run the ethernet down that - where an IP camera can be both powered and networked at the same time.
I'm not really quite so sure that an ethernet cable will be able to provide enough juice for an angle grinder... or a possible welder in the future!

Well the gain is obvious you don't need to run any cables, and you make no reference to running other tools from the mains cable you were thinking of running, you only make reference to a camera. Hence the sensible PoE option.

In fact I'll redact that in its entirety, including my original post while having considered the sheer stupidity of it. That so far no one has noticed!
7up
Community Veteran

No need to redact anything, I was just curious if there was something I was missing / hadn't thought of!
With the mains wire being just one cable, I figured it would power my tools and carry ethernet at the same time but i couldn't quite fathom how an ethernet cable carrying a lower voltage and current would help.
The main point of this topic was purely for ethernet over mains for the inside of the house - but then nanotm reminded me of another issue that needed solving - the garage and with just one mains wire needed that can do everything it kinda makes sense to put that out there and let the ethernet come through that.
Unless there is an unknown flaw with the plan that i'm missing?
Quote from: nanotm
the extension wont provide the juice for high amp gear either

Well it's always worked well for two sets of 500W floodlights and a drill OR angle grinder at the same time... so I don't think i'll need anything stronger than my trusty 13amp extension. That said i think it'll be more sensible to buy the cable itself rather than sabotage my extension reel - which i might need again in the future for something else!
Anonymous
Not applicable

My original post was to use PoE to save you putting the mains cable in, but in order to get your 48v back out again you'd need a mains supply! Hence my redaction, based on the stupid factor.
nanotm
Pro

you said you were thinking of running a welding rig & angle grinder off your extension, last time I saw a home use arc welder it started at 15 amps, if your using a low amp unit like a tig then sure your 13amp supply might work, the proboem you have there though is its being protected by a consumer unit, your going ot be running from the consumer unit through the ring main to the plug and from the plug to your extension bar, every other item running off that main is getting x amount of amps add them all up and if they go over 13 your in trip mode /
most people don't run welding equipment off outlets below 30 amps because they heat tend to pulse draw the current and the trip switches get triggered when it appears to be a short circuit (which is what it is) and such a high fire inducing current is being called for/
7up
Community Veteran

Possible welder yes... an old neighbour uses a tig welder that has run off my extension lead many times (without the other bits i previously mentioned). I wouldn't try a welder while using 1000W of lighting at the same time.. and certainly not n#while i'm drilling or grinding!
Anonymous
Not applicable

...not n#while i'm drilling or grinding!

Isn't there an app for that!
Grin
7up
Community Veteran

lol
7up
Community Veteran

Hi Guys.. just an update.
I went with these as to get me off the ground:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/netgear-xavb5221-100uks-pow...
Probably not the best or most reliable but for the money (peanuts) I figured they'd get me through for a while.
I'm still mulling over the others in case these are bad...