cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend me a mains networking kit please..

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Recommend me a mains networking kit please..

Hey gang!
As many of you know i'm not keen on wifi or the idea of it frying my little lad of 7 months. Now having recently needed to move a lot of stuff around, my computer is no longer ethernetable to the router and is currently (as a last resort) using wifi on a temporary basis.
I need a mains networking kit - cheap, super reliable and fast. When I say fast i mean networking speed not the recommendation or delivery.. though come to think of it maybe it should apply there too lol.
Anyway... help?!
Thanks,
7up
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
29 REPLIES 29
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Recommend me a mains networking kit please..

Hi 7up ,,,
I got a pair of these http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/netgear-xavb5421-100uks-pow... which i connect the TV and sons PS4 & never had any problems .
Ok not the cheapest around but Quality is good and you dont lose a mains  socket  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't fault these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LV41PO4 work very well. I've had these since Oct 2014 and so far have served me well.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I have several TP-Link 200Mbps adapters. Speed on those is absolutely fine for watching iPlayer on my connected TV. They are no longer available on Amazon but the newer 500Mbps are: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-PA411KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_7?s=comput... - only £25 for a pair. There's also multi port versions (I have one of these so I can connect my TV and FreeSat box).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Quote from: spoon
There's also multi port versions (I have one of these so I can connect my TV and FreeSat box)

1 port version - £24.98
2 port version - £24.99
Seems silly not to get the 2 port version really Grin (Unless you need the 3 port version)
Even if it's just a spare port in case you need an extra one in future.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Just remember, they emit enough RF radiation to drown out DAB and AM radio using your household wiring as a big antenna, sooo, tinfoil hat on standby... Grin
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

No problems with radio here!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not for me either, I have a Pure DAB radio in the hall and it works perfectly and that's using the same mains for it's power adapter.
7up
Community Veteran

So all these different homeplugs... are they interchangeable like normal network switches? EG will netgear work with TPLink?
I'm assuming there is some sort of common protocol they use just like normal network switches?
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Also bear in mind you can mix and match I have 500Mbps Solwise units working quiet happily with 200Mbps Tp Link units. I found the 500 units wouldn't work in the office at the top of the house because of our convoluted wiring but I have 500 units between the media centre and the router on the ground floor.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I didn't see your last post before I posted. Yes there are standards so different manufacturer's products work together  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
FreddieFlint
Grafter

IMHO Devolo are the best, if you can afford them, I had some of the 200s a while back but decided to upgrade to 500s when I went onto fibre, the Devolo were too dear for me at the time so took a punt on ZyXEL, turned out to be good, had them for over 3 years now and they're still going strong. A pair of singles, one by the router and the other upstairs for the PC, and a 4 port device in the living room to feed the TV, YouView box, Bluray player.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I started off with solwise and upgraded to tp link's (the former were 50mpbs the later 200's) no problem traversing the entire fuse box unit between circuits although the top floor only gets 11mpbs the ground floor secondary ring gets 150.
or you can just buy a longer Ethernet cable and tack it round the room /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
7up
Community Veteran

I did mull over a longer ethernet cable and tacking it round but the missus isn't keen on that - property owners getting all snotty about it and all that jazz - couldn't be threatening their investment could we!!!
So ethernet over mains it will have to be...
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

just be careful that the ones you get are certified for multicast and iptv (there's plenty around that aren't) if you think you might like to stream films over them or view ipcam footage otherwise the connection gets all choppy and the plugs start de-syncing/ refusing to reconnect.....
I made that mistake once but fortunately I was able to send them back to amazon and billy bonus they sent out the alternative product which was delivered when the useless ones were collected which double bonus were cheaper due to a prime sale which fortunately meant I was a winner that time, although that hasn't always been the case /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you