cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend me a budget, not rubbish router (support SNMP and DDNS)

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Recommend me a budget, not rubbish router (support SNMP and DDNS)

Hi,
What are the current thoughts on a decent router, with SNMP and DDNS support?  I can work around the SNMP requirement short term by borrowing a Cisco something, whatever's to hand at work.  However I've never used DDNS with Cisco, not even sure if it's possible.    Unless someone can think of a different, clever way to monitor a non-static IP address remotely of course.    It's normal BT DSL "Max", PPPoA, nothing special.
Thanks,  Tony S
8 REPLIES 8
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Recommend me a budget, not rubbish router (support SNMP and DDNS)

I would of thought most if not all so-ho or better routers would do the job, not knowing what type of connection or if you want wifi or anything else makes advice rather more difficult
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
NedLudd
Grafter

Well, for a one-off cost of £5, you can buy a static IP address from PlusNet!
Geoff,
York.
aesmith
Pro

Quote from: nanotm
I would of thought most if not all so-ho or better routers would do the job, not knowing what type of connection or if you want wifi or anything else makes advice rather more difficult

Sorry, I thought I'd included that info.  It's normal ADSL "Max", old school 20CN stuff.  Plus Net don't seem to have a name for their actual product, just call it "unlimited".    As for wireless, I use that at the moment, but could probably cover the house with our existing APs if the router did not support it.  Let's call that a nice to have.  Same with switching, at the moment I'm using two Ethernet ports on the router, but could use external switch if necessary.
Thanks,  Tony S
aesmith
Pro

Quote from: NedLudd
Well, for a one-off cost of £5, you can buy a static IP address from PlusNet!

I didn't know that, thanks.  It certainly didn't spring out during the ordering process.  I'll get that in hand.
aesmith
Pro

No suggestions?  With a static IP I don't need DDNS, but need ADSL, Wireless and SNMP.
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be fair you never provided a budget or cap yourself. But I would be inclined to spend my money on a DrayTek unit. I use a DrayTek Vigor 2925 (Wireless and SNMP) with dual Vigor 130 modems (for load balancing) so when fibre does (eventually) get here I don't need to upgrade, but you won't see change out of £300 for that. However, I have heard high praise for Billion and Asus hardware so maybe if you say how much you are willing to spend you might get a few more ideas.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

the billion 7800dx should do the job you want but finding one for less that 150 might be tricky
the asus ac68u has good reviews and again is around the 150 mark
it all depends on what you need, google for snmp ddns router and you get all sorts of options on how to implement things on various bits of kit, once you figure out which one suits your needs then you just need to find it for the cheapest price, certainly Its how I tend to shop, find out what kit I want then find out how cheaply I can source it /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
aesmith
Pro

Cheers.  I guess budget is flexible, but I can get a CIsco 887 for around £250 so no point in paying more than that.  I would prefer an all in one, rather than separate DSL modem, there's no chance whatsoever of us getting fibre (although most decent DSL routers can be reconfigured to use one of their Ethernets for PPPoE anyway).  So I guess the only disadvantage of the Cisco 887 is that I don't get wireless for that price, so would need a separate AP.  On the other hand I was looking at OpenMesh for wireless as that seems to have good coverage and management.