cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a wireless card

Rourkefamily
Grafter

Recommend a wireless card

Usual story with a work PC. I travel a lot with work and have an IBM Thinkpad T40 (Yes, they are not all on the scrap heap or in the Science museum  Wink ) which has a built in wireless card. I cannot connect to any wireless network. While I get a strong signal, I also get a message of limited or no connectivity! Tried right click and repair with no success. I have asked our IT to reinstall the softawre again as effectively I have had two different wireless cards that do the same thing, but they don't have the software!
So the next step is to buy my own wireless card. I can have a USB or a 'flat' type that can plug in in the side. Any  recommendations?
16 REPLIES 16
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Recommend a wireless card

The inbuilt wireless may not be compatible to domestic networks - what standards does it support? (e.g. 802.11a, b or g?)
Best to get a "PC Card" that fits in a slot rather than a USB device, for many reasons.
There are plenty to choose from by Netgear, Belkin, Cisco etc. etc.
What make/model of router do you normally connect to?
Most of them are now 802.11g (54mbps) and (optionally) also b (11mbps) but NOT a.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
Home router is a Netgear DG548 (I think). To be honest most of the wireless logging on would be done at a service station with BT Open zone? Sad life i know  Sad
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Rourkefamily
I have asked our IT to reinstall the softawre again as effectively I have had two different wireless cards that do the same thing, but they don't have the software!

That's a feeble excuse that I just don't believe, they can download it if they don't have it.
(I was an IT Manager for very many years)
I also note that BT Openzone say (my bold):

If your device isn't wireless-enabled, you need an IEEE 802.11g wireless or LAN access or PCMCIA card, which you can buy online at www.shop.bt.com or your local computer store.
Please check that:
1.your wireless device's Service Set Identifier (SSID) is set to – or that you've selected – 'BTOpenzone' (case sensitive, no spaces)
2.your network type is set to 'any' or 'infrastructure'
3.your wireless network key/data encryption is disabled and not set to WEP
4.if you're going to access a company network, you've disabled Internet Explorer proxy settings
If you need some help, please go to how to connect by Wi-Fi
samuria
Grafter

Your laptop is fitted with Integrated 802.11ab or 802.11b wireless (select models) so you should be abe to get onto your own network if you change the mode on the router to mixed or 802.11.
If you are using out and about then you do need the G but mobile internet may be a better option depending how much you use it away from home there is some good deals with mobile broadband about
Denzil
Grafter

Another option would be to replace the built in card. I think the T40 uses a standard removable mini-PCI card, although getting at it may be fiddly.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

OK. Thanks to everyone for the reply.
On the PC there is three Network adaptors.
AGN Virtual Network adaptor
Intel (R) PRO/1000 MT Mobile Connection
Cisco Systems PCI Wireless LAN Adapter. I assume this is the one I am trying to get working!
When I select properties, followed by advanced, I get a five property menu.
Client name - Not present selected
Data Rates - Auto selected
Infrastructure Mode - Yes
Power saving mode - CAM
SSID - Not present.
From one of the earlier replies I have to type BT Openzone in as a value? What do I do for other networks like my home one?
Agree with the comments about the IT people. The comments I received come from my most helpful contact. Guess thats what you get from a demotivated workforce!
Basically I would like to buy my own card to start afresh and install my own system? Even my IT support thinks its a good idea  Roll_eyes
HPsauce
Pro

OK, rewind time.
What OS is this laptop running?
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Running XP
HPsauce
Pro

OK, so you're looking at properties in Device Manager - not a good idea.
You should be in Networks (or Network Connections in Control Panel).
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Via Network Connections in Control Panel.....
In the General Tab, all the options are checked (5 items)
In the Wireless networks tab, all the various networks (I assume I have ever tried to connect to) have automatic in brackets after the name. Under Advanced "Access point (infrastructure) networks only" is selected
In Advanced, Firewall is on andInternet connection setting is unchecked
Anything else to check?
Sadly can check the wireless network at work as we don't have one  Roll_eyes
HPsauce
Pro

On the Wireless Networks tab I prefer to tick "Use Windows to configure...." as it's easier that way
On the General tab tick the 2 boxes at the bottom (Show icon... & Notify....) - makes life easier
On the General tab click Configure against the wireless device and check the Advanced tab. This will give you some clues as to it's capabilities and default settings (especially mode - 802.11a, b or g).
Rourkefamily
Grafter

First two were already checked.
On general and Advanced, the only Mode option I can find is in 'Advanced' and Infrastructure Mode which give 'Yes' in value box! Do I need to look somewhere else?
HPsauce
Pro

What do you think you are looking for?
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Where would I find capabilities and default settings (especially mode - 802.11a, b or g).?