cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a great QoS PPPoA compatible Router

roronoazoro83

Recommend a great QoS PPPoA compatible Router

Hi guys,
I have been on a quest to replace my Linksys WAG354G. I was looking into the Linksys WRT54GL and Dlink 655 both very good but not compatible with PPPoA! Embarrassed
Would any of you have a suitable suggestion? OR is there a way for me to connect via something other than PPPoA?
Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Recommend a great QoS PPPoA compatible Router

As far as I know, PPPoATM is the standard ADSL thing, so if the router is ADSL compatible (and not cable) then it should work.  The Linksys WAG354G is an ADSL 2+ modem/router so should work.
roronoazoro83

Thanks for your reponse dgwebb.
The reason i'm getting rid of the Linksys WAG354G is that P2P in the household seems to screw it up even long after the machine running P2P has shut down. I need some quality QoS for P2P so it doesn't affect gaming and everything else. The WAG354G has next to useless QoS functionality on it.
After some doing some digging it appears I can use either the WRT54GL or DLink 655 if I use an ADSL modem that is capable of full bridging.
The full bridge mode converts the PPPoA signal to PPPoE that the above two routers can understand. It appears that Draytek are pretty much the only brand that sell such modems.
I'd be quite keen to use a Draytek Vigor 120 with a Linksys WRT54GL on tomato firmware, only issue being the price.
Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to the Draytek modem that can do full bridge?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You're not going to get anything that cure's your issue.
If you're on dynamic IP addresses your best bet is to disconnect and reconnect until you get a new IP address, that should help.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
roronoazoro83

Hi adiewoo
I am currently on a static ip. I find that after some P2P I need to reset the router so stop the internet light blinking non-stop, usually during or after P2P gaming is out of the question.
I need upload to be capped for P2P using QoS, I have tried using a software solution on the offending machine with P2P and this allowed gaming to occur however there is a conflict that causes a BSOD intermittently shortly followed by screams from disraught parents wondering why their machine has died.
I am hoping this new setup will increase speed and responsiveness to some extent as well(some sites and  videos load slowly...compared to my aunt's next door who is just using a BT homehub yet her youtube vids load very quickly in comparison).
Can you please explain why this would not solve the issue?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I thought that it was lag during gaming you were suffering due to the fact that when you shut down your P2P application the requests from other clients that have your IP in their swarm list will try and connect to you for hours possibly days afterwords and it's possible that the traffic could be misidentified.
What P2P software are you using and what upload throttle are you setting? I can quite happily run with limited upload and game at the same time.
It is quite an old router so that could part of the problem, though that isn't necessarily the case.
Also post you line stats from the router.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

P2P uses 100s / 1000s of different ports and no router is going to be able to Qos this kind of traffic.
The only way to limit this kind of traffic is with the P2P application itself - what are you using? Maybe an alternative P2P application will help and have better management of the bandwidth used.
The issue with the activity after your stop the P2P application is because there are hundreds of users still trying to connect and it looks like the router does not block these - do you have port forwarding of certain ports on the router or are you relying in UPNP to handle the firewall config when the P2P application starts?
Most of the modern ADSL routers can cope with the multiple sessions that are set-up during P2P so that would solve the router issue. I've used the netgear DG834 or the TG585v7 supplied free by PlusNet with P2P without issues.
roronoazoro83

Thanks to you both for your replies.
My current line stats are as below (hope this is what you're after):
                        DSL Path Mode:                      INTERLEAVED   
      Downstream Rate:                      3584 Kbps  
      Upstream Rate:                                448 Kbps  
      Downstream Margin:                    7 db  
      Upstream Margin:                          18 db  
      Downstream Line Attenuation:  56  
      Upstream Line Attenuation:          31
The program being used is PPStream unfortunately it is in chinese so I can't decipher the settings to set max connections, upload download limit etc. I am unaware of an alternative to this program.
I had used Netlimiter software before and set an upload limit of around 30 KBs with download limit of 150 KBs and this certainly allows for lagless gaming but I couldn't find a solution to resolve the BSODs due to a conflict with Netlimiter.
At present there are some ports forwarded for games and UPnP is enabled, there doesn't appear to be anything set up in particular that relates to the P2P program.
Before exploring the combination of using a Modem+ Router I was considering the Netgear DG834...are there good firmwares available for this and is there any version in particular that is recommended?
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: roronoazoro83
Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to the Draytek modem that can do full bridge?

Netgear and D-Link make DSL modems and these come up frequently on Ebay for £low. Eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290375382672. Alternatively quite a few ADSL routers can be configured in bridge mode.