cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rechargeable Batteries with 20 year life span

Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Rechargeable Batteries with 20 year life span

Unlike my dad's old Ford Anglia which became a rust bucket at the end of 14 years good service Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

When I traded in my old (1968 I think) VW Beetle it was in a nearly rust free condition.
The front wheel arches were in 'as new' condition having been replaced with new ones a couple of times in the 6 months I had the car.
Well it was my first car after passing my test and suffered frequently as a result.
When you shut a door you knew it was shut as per the subsequent VW advert.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Do they make cars that last 20 years?

Dunno about today, but if a Mercedes Benz W123 can survive this, then modern cars haven't a hope!!:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161471666889
Shocked
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

car has never moved for 20 years currently covered in pigeon gauno

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

valart
Grafter

The simple solution would to be able to put a new battery in ipods,tablets and ipads instead of just binning them when the battery is exhausted.
petecov44
Grafter

Indeed as many people dont realise Apple will do that within 6 years of purchase. as per their euro terms. You can even claim a refund if it breaks down in that time too
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: shutter
If a car is proplled by elastic band... then it will get NO miles per gallon
If a car is propelled by electricity...... then it will get NO miles per gallon. 

If you buy a gallon of petrol in a sealed can and carry it round in the car then you will retain that gallon of petrol.  Therefore the elastic or electric-powered car will do an infinite number of miles to the gallon.
If you have a car that runs on more than one fuel then it is meaningful to say how it does if powered by one fuel alone.  So you could meaningfully rate it as, say, 10 miles to the kWatt on electrcity alone or 230 miles per gallon on petrol alone.  But I suspect the Vauxhall Marketing Department  fiddled the data for both fuels to arrive at their 230 mpg figure.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: shutter
If a car is proplled by elastic band... then it will get NO miles per gallon
If a car is propelled by electricity...... then it will get NO miles per gallon.  Regardless if the battery is charged during that journey, by the petrol engine... 

Shame you wrecked your argument with a very basic mathematical error.
If it's propelled by elastic band or electricity it will get infinite miles per gallon, not zero.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Propelled by an elastic band it will probably get zero as it won't get anywhere.  Grin
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

If you have a car that runs on more than one fuel then it is meaningful to say how it does if powered by one fuel alone.

I think you have a typo in there, RR....for "  meaningful "  should read    " meaningless "  otherwise your statement does not make sense....  however, it would be"meaninful" if you compared the two fuels side by side ....
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Propelled by an elastic band it will probably get zero as it won't get anywhere.  Grin

Which is what I said, isn`t it  ? ? ?    Roll_eyes
petecov44
Grafter

Never mind these I've just got my hands on a hydrogen battery charger - and a year (ish)  the E-cat is coming which will blow everything else apart.
Even see the top gear where James drove that Hydrogen car? and said it would last for 100 years without a refuel? And he said he could run half his street off it?
Well scrap the car bit but the rest has just been licensed and will be on sale first quarter of 2016.
going to cost around £4000 but that will pay for itself in no time as it'll be the only power source you ever need (and it's being backed by some governments for their energy targets. . Cold Fusion also being released same time in the E-cat
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Ah the hydrogen fuel cell, the ultimate green solution to an energy supply problem, except the only efficient way to source hydrogen is to dig up crude oil and pull the hydrogen from the various hyrdocarbon molecules, so, it's not green, nor sustainable, and before anyone mentions HHO, you're not getting anywhere with that either as it doesn't work... Cool
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: twocvbloke
Ah the hydrogen fuel cell, the ultimate green solution to an energy supply problem, except the only efficient way to source hydrogen is to dig up crude oil and pull the hydrogen from the various hyrdocarbon molecules, so, it's not green, nor sustainable, and before anyone mentions HHO, you're not getting anywhere with that either as it doesn't work... Cool

Does it not? Okay.
So I am not charging my phone right now from a small reactor which takes Hydrocells?  and the machine I have which recharges them by making Hydrogen from Distilled water is also a myth but has recharged 2 today?
Fair point. - life is good when it's all impossible but you do it anyway Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Basic chemistry for 2nd year students....
Jar of water...... two electrodes in water.... give it some power... collect twice as much Hydrogen as oxygen in two separate chambers above the relevant electrodes.... hence the water is designated

H2Wink