Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rechargeable Batteries with 20 year life span

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rechargeable Batteries with 20 year life span

Breakthrough batteries last 20 years, charge 70 percent in two minutes
NTU researchers claim this new battery technology ( Titanium dioxide nanotubes ) has a whopping 10,000-cycle lifespan, meaning you can charge a battery 10,000 times before its max charge starts to reduce.
Possibly available within two years, an unnamed company already licensing the technology...

http://media.ntu.edu.sg/NewsReleases/Pages/newsdetail.aspx?news=809fbb2f-95f0-4995-b5c0-10ae4c50c934
The benefits of fast charging need no explanation, but many of today’s smartphones and tablets won’t let you remove their batteries, essentially forcing you to buy a new device when the lithium-ion battery inside starts to fade after 500 or so charges.
A battery that lasts 20 years could dramatically change how long people hang on to their smartphones, especially with the mobile industry’s recent trend of decoupling hardware fees from services subscriptions.
Together, the combo could further reduce the two-year upgrade cycle so common in the mobile industry.

50 REPLIES 50
petecov44
Grafter

Re: Rechargeable Batteries with 20 year life span

I wonder if this will lead to faster car charging? I sure hope so!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I see one big problem with fast charging of car batteries - the amperage needed to do it
Take a standard 44amp hour battery - charge to 70% in two minutes needs a whopping 924 amps  Crazy
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

The article refers to the batteries used to PROPEL electric cars which are orders of magnitude larger.  Shocked
The time taken to recharge these is already a major issue (as is the limited number of cycles before they need replacing) and this won't really affect that without some extraordinary means of supplying enormous currents.
If you think petrol stations are dangerous places think about somewhere capable of delivering what would amount to megawatts of power (for a few minutes) to a single vehicle.
It's probably better to think about the power (Watts) required than the current as charging systems would probably connect at higher voltages to work effectively.
I don't know what power a typical electric car uses to run, but looking at the power output of petrol engines they are usually 100KW or more.
Just as a ball-park lets say an efficient average of 25KW while "cruising" and you want to replenish several hours (say 5) of driving use in 5 minutes (60:1) that would suggest recharging at 1.5MW......  Crazy
For smaller low-consumption devices on the other hand it sounds promising.
petecov44
Grafter

They already have cars like mine, The Ampera which is basically the same system they made on Top Gear (and probably nicked the idea from) the petrol engine is only there to charge the battery and is not connected to the wheels so you get around 230mpg from it.
So I guess for the tesla/jazz/leaf etc this would be a good option
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Quote from: petecov44
I wonder if this will lead to faster car charging? I sure hope so!

Tesla motors quote 68 miles per hour of charging using dual chargers in what they call a type 2 outlet at home - that's an outlet  capable of delivering 22kW which is about 90 amps at 240v or 55A with 400 volts if you happen to have a house with a three phase supply.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: petecov44

the petrol engine is only there to charge the battery and is not connected to the wheels so you get around 230mpg from it.

I fail to see how you can make that statement...

If a car is proplled by elastic band... then it will get NO miles per gallon
If a car is propelled by electricity...... then it will get NO miles per gallon.  Regardless if the battery is charged during that journey, by the petrol engine... 

The fact that the battery is charged by the petrol engine, has no bearing on the number of miles that the petrol engine travels... as it is only a passenger, and not actually powering/driving the wheels.
If you have a car that is only charged using the mains power supply, and has a petrol engine to provide the heat for the demisters, then you cannot, under any circumstances claim a Miles Per Gallon figure for that petrol engine...  Can You ?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Surely mpg is only meaningful if the fluid (petrol, diesel, whatever) measured in gallons is the ONLY source of power for propulsion.
The fact that it goes indirectly to the wheel via a generator/battery/motor setup is neither here nor there in the calculation.
The interesting technology used in F1 shows that energy recovery in braking, exhausts etc. can make the overall setup more efficient, though whether 230mpg is achievable in a road car at present seems extremely unlikely.
If the batteries can also be charged up by plugging into the mains and a petrol engine tops up the batteries (as several designs do) then mpg is totally meaningless.  Crazy
petecov44
Grafter

So sue Vauxhall I don't care. I just go by what the people who made it told me
http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vehicles/vauxhall-range/cars/ampera/index.html
Look at the benefits bit - does or does it not say 235.4 MPG - and does it not also say
“Combined/weighted” fuel consumption/CO2 figures calculated from two test results: one when the battery is fully charged and the other when the battery is discharged. The two test results are a weighted average, taking into account mileage range on battery power only, providing a figure in a variety of charge conditions. Extended range achieved by 1.4 litre 16-valve VVT ECOTEC® petrol engine generating electricity."
Argue with someone who cares. I was making a statement based on what I read.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

I remember back in 2003ish, they proudly announced we'd have batteries that would last 20 years within the following 10, still waiting 11 years on, and they're still making claims today, it's like the claims of over-unity being possible but nobody has produced a working example (claiming "the man" made them "disappear"), if you want 20 years of power, get a bike with a generator attached, gets you loads of free electricity AND keeps you fit... Grin
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Do they make cars that last 20 years?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend

they do nowadays - lack of rust is amazing
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

The lack of rust on some cars is amazing, note the word some, SWMBO  ten year old ford fiesta had to be scrapped due to underbody rust and this is not the only car we have scrapped due to rust a VW Golf also 10 years old went the same way.
I Note that there are many more plastic items on new cars such as bumpers so this will account for a reduction in rust but we can only judge what a new car made today will be like in 10 years time regarding rust.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

My car is 12 years old with no obvious rust problems including no comments at the MOT which I would have expected if there had been any sign of rust problems underneath
Now sit down please - it is a Vauxhall that well known rust bucket brand in the past
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Indeedy so... jim....  Grin    and my old faithful Skoda Fabia was rust free also...