Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent oddity......worrying?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Recent oddity......worrying?

XP Home SP3 installed
The other day I turned off my computer by using the proper turn off computer procedure.
Three hours later I tuned it back on, but instead of the usual screens I got a DOS screen ( start up IIRC). I used escape and the screen blacked and then started to show close and narrow lines on screen that were moving fast upward. Then finally I managed to close and then reboot, when all started up as it should. Sorry about any vagueness as it was several days back, and since then all has been OK as far as the problem at least.
Should I be concerned, or was it likely a minor glitch?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
8 REPLIES 8
atbs1
Grafter

Re: Recent oddity......worrying?

Probably a minor glitch but you could use a programme such as regcure (costs) or regseeker.exe (free) to analyse your registry for errors...
artificer
Grafter

you can also schedule a chkdsk /f for next boot from a command prompt.
Luzern
Hero

I ran chkdsk but when the summary appeared, it was on and off screen too quickly to read it. Does ALT/PrtScn work then, or is there a way to keep the summary viewable for longer?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Hero

No answers to questions then? Grin
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Doesn't look like it, does it?  Shocked
jnwright
Grafter

In the past, when I've not been able to get the computer to do a scrren grab, I've resorted to using a camera to grab a still of a brief screen or one that is repeatedly scrolling to fast. Either a stills camera or a video one where you can pause the video will do.
Luzern
Hero

@jnwright lol The dwell time is short enough to be affected by a camera's digital lag.
OT thought: Is a convicted hacker a digital lag? Smiley
pjemmanuel
Grafter

If you just want to view the summary results of the chkdsk, you can find the information in the Event viewer.
To get there: -

• Open the Control Panel

• Double click on Administrative Tools

• Double click on Event Viewer

• Click on Application from the left hand side of the window

• Find items labeled Winlogon under the Source column

• Double click the Winlogon entry to see the summary from the chkdsk