cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent experience with power line adapters?

johpal
Grafter

Recent experience with power line adapters?

Does anybody have recent experience of using power line adapters and is wiling to tell? I'm thinking of buying a pair of 200 Mbps units to connect my new TV to my network (wireless doesn't "cut the mustard" when streaming video from the NAS drive). I don't want to start cabling from one end of the house to the other and for practical reasons, I don't wish to move my router.
11 REPLIES 11
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Recent experience with power line adapters?

Recently bought a Netgear Homeplug AV Network Kit and quite satisfied.
You're going to ask what speed I get but I haven't done any speed tests yet.
The supplied software tells me the remote unit is connected at 89Mbps and the local unit at 200Mbps.
The local unit is currently plugged into a mains extension (not recommended) but is working fine.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
johpal
Grafter

Thanks Strat. If I can achieve similar figures, I shall be quite pleased.
I do have a concern; the upstairs sockets in my house (where the router is located) whilst on the same fusebox, have a different circuit breaker to those downstairs. Does this suggest separate ring mains? However, the "blurb" with the units state this is not a problem.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

As far as I know that shouldn't make any difference.
As long as the units are on the same phase they will talk to each other fine and as all domestic electrics are single phase that should be the case.
As I said the units are supposed to be plugged into wall sockets but my local unit (connected into the router) works just fine on a 4 gang unfiltered extension.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
johpal
Grafter

Sorry to bump my own thread, but I took the plunge and bought a pair of Solwise PL-200AV-PIGGY units; arrived today . Reported Send/Receive statistics 143 Mbps / 145 Mbps. Vastly superior to the wi-fi set up. Once the TV is installed, the wires will be out of sight. I can't believe how simple it was to set up; literally plug-and-play!  Smiley
Fenster
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Homeplugs are fantastic, I got four 200mbps - £59 per pair! Never going back to wireless.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Do you have to use them in pairs?
E.g. if I want to connect 4 PC's to a router will I need 5 plugs or 8 plugs?
Would multi-plugs interfere with each other?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

twentythree
Grafter

You need one master adapter that is connected to your router and then one slave adapter for each socket you want to add to the network. I'm using three adapters at the moment - one of them is connected to an automatic switch with two networked devices attached and it works like a dream.
johpal
Grafter

I haven't tried it yet, but I've bought a 4-port switch (rather than a hub). I want to try building a segment of my network, using the home plug connection to one port and other devices to the other ports of the switch. Project for this evening, perhaps?
twentythree
Grafter

That's what I did (although the switch I used was 8 port) and it was as simply as plug and play  Smiley
johpal
Grafter

Well, that was a doddle!  Smiley I now have connections for my new TV (when it arrives), the blu-ray player (ditto) and the PC, all in one room, with one homeplug adapter and an inexpensive network switch. Now to upgrade my daughter's X-Box connection in her room from wireless to homeplug... 
Wireless still has its place; it's great to walk around the house with the netbook, for instance.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: johpal
Wireless still has its place; it's great to walk around the house with the netbook, for instance.

And the beauty of it is you can use both at the same time and get the best of both worlds Smiley