cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really need help please

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Really need help please

generally, in win 97 word there is a temp file ~~~xxx.doc in the same directory, or the Windows/temp directory, this is the temporary file, that is assuming that you already had a file of the program that was being modified in the first place, not sure about brand new docs.
evie
Grafter

hey guys,
quick query- the file had a name and everything and it was saved on desktop, what do you mean by 'same directory'?- the latest version wasn't on desktop.
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: evie
axis of evil- you really know how to kick someone when they're down-don't go into counselling will you- the tips would have been appreicated more, if they'd come without the barbs. thanks nonetheless

Thats just how he is. What he has suggested is really good practice that you should take on board . I know you are hurting from losing your work and frustrated that you can't recover it yet. It has happened to most of us I guess
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Just do a search on the entire drive; that will include the "same directory" (he was referring to the location that the file was located originally).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you go to the windows directory on you old HD open that and there will be a sub directory of desktop, you should find your original file there, open that, it "might" get your modified file
If it was an XP disc look in Documents and settings, then your user name, then desktop
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

He has already said that once he opens the file, the two hours of work isn't there. Searching for the Word temporary file will give an idea of if it's there or not
The easiest method of getting to the desktop is %SystemDrive%\Docume~1\%Username%\Desktop
(why look solely on the Desktop when you can search the entire drive?)
evie
Grafter

mike, sorry for the delay, the cafe computer crashed and had to get another one- oh the irony!
anyway, i', trying what you told me, be back in a tick, thanks a lot for your advice, greatly appreicated.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Not a problem - I'm off to watch the footy so I'll be back at half time to see how you're getting on.
evie
Grafter

I've just found something, the auto save recovery of my file! but it doesn't open in word!
file is called: autorecovery save of xxx. rar
any ideas?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

evie
Grafter

thanks pierre, i'm onto it
evie
Grafter

pierre, is there any of getting to a .rar file apart from bitzipper the prog....kinda can't get it to work.
enjoy the footy, mike, thanks for your help so far.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

AFAIK Winrar(?) has a free trial period.
before you do anything Make a note of the files it's location, it's creation/update date/time, what created etc.
Sorry for the hard advice I gave earlier - but nearly everyone has to learn the hard way!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

looking at the link I gave you there seem to be a lot of variations of RAR, the first recomendation is 7-zip.
But XP has a built in zip expansion, have you just tried to open it - you might find that works
evie
Grafter

axis, you can help now if you want :S

it now says it's an 'asd' file- i have no idea how it went from rar to asd. bitzipper is refusing to open it when i select it now.