Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read Only 2GB cruze stick

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Read Only 2GB cruze stick

Going back to the 2GB cruzer stick..... have used it on the Windows Laptop. to put "irfanview" folder on there, for transfer to the Linux MINT11 laptop... no problem... checked it... it is there..
BUT
on inserting it to the Linux MINT 11 laptop,.... although the 2GB stick shows on the desktop it is also saying (empty)..... AND... when I tried to drop a folder of pics onto it. I got a message saying
"Error while copying to 091402f1  (the usb stick)
The destination is read only.    Cry
so looks like removing the U3 bit hasn`t done it much good !..
any offers of a solution. to make it read and write?

EDIT EDIT EDIT.... removed from other thread......
also edit edit edit
I have tried changing the Permissions on "properties"  but it won`t allow me to make it read and write...
Cry
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Read Only 2GB cruze stick

run a checkdisc on it in Windows

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

OK will do..... when I get home.... and will advise......
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for that check disk..... took about 10 secs and it is now OK for use on the Linux Laptop...
The Irfanview folder has disappeared, and seems to have been moved to a folder called "Found.000". with a few other bits and pieces...
copied a folder to the stick, and it appeared on the Windows laptop...... However , although the "Found.000" folder appears on the Linux Laptop, it does not appear on the Windows Laptop.... (where I did the checkdisk ! ! !)...
As there was only the Irfanview folder on the stick, I am assuming that I can "Erase" the "Found.000" folder....?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Sounds like Windows hadn't written something properly when the stick was removed.
However , although the "Found.000" folder appears on the Linux Laptop, it does not appear on the Windows Laptop.... (where I did the checkdisk ! ! !).

Its a folder containing things that checkdisc has 'recovered'.  Its probably marked as 'hidden', Windows tends to do that with things it doesn't want users poking into. Of course Linux will ignore that!!
As there was only the Irfanview folder on the stick, I am assuming that I can "Erase" the "Found.000" folder....?

Yes you can delete it, you might need to change its permissions first  to allow you to though.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks.... I think I have windows configured to "show hidden folders",  but of no real concern.... so will see if I can "erase" it on the windows laptop somehow, if not just delete it on Linux MINT.