Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: problems with watching bbc iplayer?

helentroy
Dabbler

Hi. 
I posted a question on the 'Web and Internet' section as I thought best place to start but I'm hoping fellow Mac users might also be able to help as my workhorse is an iMac PPC G5: OSX Tiger: 10.4.11, Safari: 4.0.4 (4531.21.10)
To save repeating too much I've pasted address bar below to link: (hope this works as never done this before!)
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,82094.msg673902.html#new
(Otherwise look at Home » Forum » Technology Discussions » Web and Internet » problems with watching bbc iplayer?)
Basically over the last 3 days I've noticed my connection has been slower and for the first time after having got home broadband (early this Nov) I suddenly can't watch anything on bbc iplayer. 
When I go onto the bbc iplayer home page- everything opens/appears as before but when I click on the program title to play - there is just the title of the program I've chosen and a big black space of nothingness where the screen and all the action should be- so there's no loading spinning arrow- nothing.  I've checked and still the same.  I've had no problem before with iplayer so is anyone else having this problem- and why now?
I checked 4oD and I was able to watch (streaming) but the picture kept buffering and would brake up at the edges (always on right of screen).  Demand 5 will load but is buffering like hell.  Not comfortable viewing at all so giving up.
Everything was fine/watchable till then (3 days ago) so what has changed?
Matt/plusnet asked me to post a BT Speed test - which I did - but no response in return to my posting  to help with diagnosis and if the results show my plusnet connection + speed are sufficient and are not the problem- what then?
I did a diagnostic on the iplayer site (also posted results on the initial posting) that only failed with HD but I always choose lower band-width so I assumed this was not the prob. 
So - any suggestions as to why and what now v - v much appreciated.
Helen
5 REPLIES 5
MacOS10
Grafter

There was an update to the Adobe Flash Player sometime last week I think - did you download this by any chance? If not, it might be worth trying it.
Go to this page - at the top right it will say "You have version........ installed"
If the version number is less than the latest version, currently 10.0.42.34 then your Flash Player is out of date. Try downloading version 10.0.42.34 from the main download page
Also, try another web browser to test it's not something to do with Safari - I use Camino or Firefox on a Mac (G4 Powerbook) and iPlayer works OK in off-peak hours but sometimes stutters and buffers in peak time hours - due to too many people using too little bandwidth I guess.
helentroy
Dabbler

Hi Mac0S10
iPlayer just started working fine late last night (11pm +) - as if nothing had happened.  None the wiser about the cause but it might have been something to do with the network being overtaxed with run up to xmas...?
My mac seems fine now anyway so - until next time  Smiley
Ps- I will still check on my Flash version anyway etc - good idea.
Helen
barrowboy35

I find using bbc and itv iplayer impossible after 4.00 pm, no doubt because PN are throttling. It's fine between midnight and 4.00 pm.
helentroy
Dabbler

Hi barrowboy35
I have noticed that web in general gets a bit sticky from 4ish - but apart from the odd stutter- things haven't been too bad lately in the eve with the iplayer- or 4D.  Not tried ITV yet. 
Can't download and save anything though for later play (which is what I would have preferred).  Think it's because I've the 'old' generation Mac PPC and not the new intel processor.  Apparently there is something I can do to tweak my machine to improve streaming but I don't want to mess with something I don't understand how to fix. 
Re BBC iplayer- do you watch on the 'normal bandwidth' or choose 'use lower bandwidth' ?
Not everyone knows BBC iplayer standard/normal play is now automatically set to using a much higher bandwidth to give better quality image but it's twice the bandwidth previously used- this increases demand and uses up more of your allowance if capped.  If you use HD it's nearly 3 times the lower bandwidth and needs a v fast connection.
But you can choose 'use lower bandwidth version' and I find it's absolutely fine re picture quality - especially if you consider you're using 300MB (for an hour watching) instead of 600MB or 1.5GB for HD.
Helen
bakerbloke
Dabbler

Yes - I can't use iPlayer between 6pm and 8pm - works fine after 8pm.