Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-installing Windows Vista from CD

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re-installing Windows Vista from CD

Have been setting up a "new" hdd and am now satisfied that it is working ok on all my previous progs and settings.... transferred from my "old" hdd....
Now I want to do a fresh install of Windows Vista on the old 259gb hdd... however it has got Linux Mint 9 on a partition, and when I start the Windows installation, it shows 141gb  86gb and 23gb as partitions... I thought that Windows install would automatically want to install as the only system.... but it seems to be leaving the Mint9 in place..
I have formatted the 141gb partition, so no windows is available on that....
how do I format the whole of the "old" hdd , getting rid of the partitions, and Linux Mint 9, in the process...... so that it will be 250gb available for windows vista.....
( I do have the old hdd in a caddy, on another laptop, which is running XP)....
6 REPLIES 6
rengarth
Grafter

Re: Re-installing Windows Vista from CD

If you really want to completely wipe the HDD and install Vista only, you should boot your computer from the Vista CD, and select the CUSTOM INSTALL option when you reach it. Once you get to the list of partitions you can choose ADVANCED (which I think has a small yellow sun-like icon). This will then display some additional options, including deleting other partitions. Delete ALL the partitions, and once you have "xxx unallocated" you can proceed with the installation. You don't need to create or allocate any partitions as the Windows Setup/Installer will do that automatically.
p.s. The installer may allocate a partition of around 100Mb at the beginning of the hard drive first. You won't see it happen, it just does it. I think that's to store certain installation files windows needs to complete the install. You shouldn't delete that partition once it's created unless you want to wipe the drive again.
Hope this helps.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks... I thought that was what was supposed to happen.... maybe I did not get that far....!  will try again.... Wink
rengarth
Grafter

Well the advanced options for messing about with the partitions don't show themselves right away. You need to click the advanced option to show them .
Here's a screenshot. It's "Drive Options (Advanced) you want to click.
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, I got to that screen, and it showed the three partitions, and the 141 gb one was highlighted as to where Vista was expected to go....
am just running it up again on my other laptop.... will see what transpires when I get to the screen again...
watch this space ! !  Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

OK.... Have got to the screen with the three partitions on... went to "Drive options advance"  and then selected them one by one and deleted them.....now have only one Drive 0 with 232.9Gb .... so will go ahead from there....
Thanks very much for your help and guidance.!.  Wink
rengarth
Grafter

You're welcome.  Smiley