Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: iPlayer to rise from the ashes?

MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Saw this the other day and told Chris, I think he forgot about it though Tongue
It's definitely a wise move by BBC, and it would make me look at it again in the future. I don't see the move to be part of The Cloud being a winner though, but maybe that's just me.
3 REPLIES 3
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Think what that coffee shop would be like, however, if 10 people with the similar thoughts to yourself went in with their laptop to watch a BBC show. It would probably get quite annoying, and places may require customers to wear ear/headphones. I have to admit I prefer to watch my TV where I don't need to care who is around me.
Coffee shops I can agree with, but the visions of people huddling around each other in the street watching TV doesn't do it for me lol.
Ianwild
Grafter

On the HD question, I think our position is pretty well established now.
HD downloads overnight is a definate possibility, whereby they can be watched as timeshift a day or two after the download request is made.  Otherwise, IPStream doesn't really lend itself to HDTV, so people if they want it more 'on demand' will either have to wait for 21CN and the next generation of Broadband network access, or be prepared to pay through the nose. If the usage is paid for at the PAYG rate, which just about reflects the costs we incur, we should be able to afford to provision more bandwidth to cope (although that still won't neccessarily be enough for big streams, as supposed to timeshift downloads).
Real-time streaming will be very hard for everyone to deliver if it becomes popular, but provided people are realistic and understand the challenge we have as an ISP (and work with us), there should be some reasonable compromises.
Ian
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Coffee shops I can agree with, but the visions of people huddling around each other in the street watching TV doesn't do it for me lol.

Bit tongue in cheek  :), but wouldn’t that be illegal?
Most films etc if played on a DVD player come with restrictions on ‘Public performance’. I can just see the local ‘enforcement’ agency person arresting you for breaching some weird DRM law ;).
Regards, P.