cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Foxit PDF Reader

MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Yep I used to use this at Uni during our hacking labs and it's a great reader which uses a lot less memory than Adobe Reader.
256Mb windows 2000 Pro machine running VMWare (Windows 2000 Server SP4 VM) and Adobe Reader and it just froze up and refused to work anymore (although, because it is 256Mb only then that's a LITTLE harsh I suppose!). Running Foxit it worked without many moans from the machine.
Good choice to post PJ Smiley
6 REPLIES 6
lingbob
Grafter

Foxit Reader runs fine on Windows but the Linux version seg faults on PCLinuxOS.
Regards .....
lingbob
Grafter

Yes, indeed there is a Linux version. See attached screenshot  Wink
I note that it says "preview version" and there's no indication as to what version it's based on. Note also that it mentions Fedora 4 - errrrm - that's a rather old version ?Huh
I've been digging around in their online forums and it would appear that Ubuntu users are also having the seg fault problem. I'm wondering how we're supposed to preview it if it won't run  Huh
Any other Linux users tried it?
Regards .....
paulh
Rising Star

i didn't have problems with it under linux (puppy linux) but it integrates poorly with Opera under either linux or windoze, and it is nowhere near as full-featured as Adobe unless you get the paid-for version. On the other hand it has a tiny footprint.
paul
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

You're right PJ, you can't do that with Adobe Reader, you need Adobe Acrobat for that (which is around £160 from Adobe for the standard version I believe)
Denzil
Grafter

I have tried it with Suse 10.0 and it works fine. It is fairly minimal in terms of features, but that what it is for. It is a simple, small fast pdf viewer. If you want features you can use Acrobat Reader, but it is much bigger and slower. You pays yer money... (umm, except its free Cool
Alternatives - The KDE desktop has the built in Kpdf viewer.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

There is a bit of an embarrassment of programs to display pdf files in Linux:-
Adobe Acrobat (very big)
xpdf
gv - uses Ghostscript to display pdf or postscript files.
evince
Something that calls itself "PDF viewer" - it's the Gnome environment version of xpdf.
And I could always use pdftops to convert the pdf file into a postscript file and use any postscript viewer (or printer)...
This list is not exhaustive - it's only what I have installed.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."