cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Curious results of some careful speed tests on my line

tasha55

My ADSL2+ broadband has been running slow for many months, day and night– typically 1.2-1.3Mbps (down); sometimes as low as 0.4Mbps.  According to the BT site, I should be getting up to 5.5Mbps.
My father is also a plusnet customer on the same deal (plusnet unlimited [contracted]). He lives in a different house connected to a different exchange. He gets typically 2.5-2.6 Mbps. We have performed the following tests, the results of which seem to rule out a whole raft of possibilities:

My father brought HIS computer, router, filter, cables, etc., round to MY house, plugged directly into my BT socket with no telephone (or anything else) connected. We got 2.5Mbps, exactly the same as he gets at his house. This immediately shows that my telephone line and BT socket are capable of (at least) 2.5Mbps.
Now the important bit - still using only my father’s equipment, we then reprogrammed the VERY SAME ROUTER with MY username and password and the speed immediately dropped to 1.2Mbps. Nothing else was changed. NONE of my equipment was involved at any stage, but we got exactly the same download speed as I have been getting on my own equipment for months – different router, different filter, different computer and different leads – SAME SPEED.
As an additional test, my father then took the router back to HIS house, still programmed with my username and password, he got 1.2Mbps. When he reprogrammed it with HIS username and password, it shot back up to 2.5Mbps.

The only consistent factor in all this is whose account is being used – mine or his; not the line, not the router, not the filter, not the computer, not the BT socket!
It looks very much as though some speed limitation is being put on MY account, which has nothing to do with the equipment. MY equipment was not used AT ALL for the above tests, so absolutely no point in asking me to check my equipment bit by bit (as various Plusnet agents have) or changing the SNR target (made no difference 20 days later) or sending me a new router (made no difference, as expected).

Dear Plusnet, please can you give me a full and coherent explanation as to what is going on and fix it.
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Very simple
Look at the Current Line Speed - see my sig for a link - which is linked to your account and updates when I new report is received from the automatic systems at the exchange (usually over night)
This limits your speed
tasha55

Sorry, my question is still - why do two different users operating through the same line (and equipment) get two different speeds?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I thought I had explained it
Plusnet operate a secondary profile which is shown as Current Line Speed and restricts the speeds achieved
This profile is linked to the account and not the line