cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Antec Notepad Cooler

dhookham
Grafter

I've used one of those in the past - still got it here somewhere.
You can sit the laptop on top which raises the base off the surface so you get a bit of airflow, or you can plug in the usb flylead to fire up the fans for a bit more.
TBH, I wasn't that impressed as the gap is only the height of the rubber feet on your laptop anyway, so you get the same benefit by using any flat surface such as a tray.
I also found the fans didn't seem to make a massive amount of difference even on full whack, and the laptop temperature sensors showed no change.
Of course, YMMV  Wink
[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

PJ - it sounds as if you may have found someone who would sell you one cheap if you really want to give it a try!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
fceluk
Grafter

*Topic moved to IT section of Classified*
Oh....sorry there isn't one Wink
I've had a small 'invalid' tray for years that I use. It has 2 spring loaded wide legs and is designed for use by people confined to bed due to illness. Don't know if they are still available though they should be.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Pj  I am using a small 3 fan unit benearh an old IBM Thimk pad that suffer from overheating, it works with that
I also have a 17" medium lap top perched on top of a tray with a cushioned bese, very effective if you use the notebook on your lap, it stop the heat on your knees, these trays are readily avalable for about 10.00 - probably a lot cheaper than your unit Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could also try this product from Maplins codeZU61R cost 19.99
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

When I first got my laptop, I found it difficult to type on a flat surface, (I use all my fingers and right hand thumb as I was trained to do 45 years ago) so I made up a "wedge" using the base of a large cardboard vegetable tray box. It was made the same size as the laptop, and had a rise at the rear of about 30 cm (1.5") ..... Thinking about the heat disipation I cut out a couple of holes where the fan inlet is resting on it, and made it so I could fold it flat and put into the laptop bag.  total cost  nuthing !  Grin Grin  After a while, I progressed, and made a "mark 2" version using a strip  of wood about the same height  .5 inch thick and as long as the laptop is wide, I then put a couple of "cross members" as feet, but made them swivel so it would fold away.  Much neater when you travel. Wink Grin  When my wife got her laptop, I did the same for her, as she uses hers on a "lap tray" with a soft cushion as mention in previous reply....
Maybe I should market this..... OOOps.... just given away the design, and possibly the copyright too  Sad Roll_eyes