cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raspian - Whats going on with the latest editions?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Raspian - Whats going on with the latest editions?

Recently my Pi packed up - it's one of the original B models with 512MB ram, 2 usb sockets, single proccessor and ethernet. Turned out (after testing in multiple devices) that it was the SD card.

Today I bit the bullet and decided to owe myself an SD card by using the one in the camcorder which is class 10. Installed the latest raspian and booted. Great.. that was easy!

Problem? Well chromium for a start. It has some perverted blocker extension that i can't remember the name of that claims to be super light weight on memory and processor.. while taking the proccy to 100% and keeping it there. As soon as i disabled it, the proccy usage plummetted.

Second issue is that this is a single core Pi and the latest raspian seems a bit sluggish as nice as it is. Even trying to use a couple of basic websites was sluggish along with scrolling. I made the mistake of trying to look at something on ebay and that didn't end well. There's another extension for youtube video streaming too.. I wouldn't even bother trying it given that ebay could barely be used.

Have they lost the plot over at the foundation? - This was supposed to be an easy to educate with tool yet i see todays kids being easily frustrated with it with this rotten performance. Even on their website there is no way to download one of the older versions of raspbian so the whole saga seems a tad pointless.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
3 REPLIES 3
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Raspian - Whats going on with the latest editions?

All Raspian images are available here https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/ 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Supporting "legacy" hardware always has issues. Same as I wouldn't run the latest distro on a 486 you will struggle with newer Debian on the single core pi's.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@SpendLessTime wrote:

All Raspian images are available here https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/ 

Top man, if only there were more people out there like you Thumbs_Up

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!