Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raspberry Pi chat

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Raspberry Pi chat

Thought I would start up a topic for those of us who have pi's.
I found some nice bits here A micro-sd-pi adaptor for a £.
Got a couple for my pi's as I have way more micro-sd's than normal ones.  Crazy
I have one pi running openelec (see HERE) based xbmc as my main TV console playing my stored content from my "server" at 1080p happily.
My other one is being switched between being an Internet radio (see HERE and a test bed using a breakout T-piece (HERE) which lets me play with the GPIO ports without having to look up the numbers.
I was tempted to try and save up for a third box but sense got the better of me  Cheesy
dick:green Link fixed.
35 REPLIES 35
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Raspberry Pi chat

I've got three of them - I've not yet worked out what I'll be doing with them but hey ho  Grin
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@HB Thanks for the Openelec link.
I've tried RASPBMC and found it struggled a bit with some 1080 video.
I'll see how Openelec performs.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

I've got 3.
One running OpenELEC, and another with Xbian. The 3rd is for tinkering, and currently running Volumio (formerly Raspyfi)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've only got one Pi.      That's 3.14159265358979....
I've got some version of XBMC and it's connected (HDMI) to the TV.
Also an ethernet connection.
On my PC I've got MediaTomb which acts as a media server.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Strat:  Raspbmc should be fine for 1080p.  Have you tested your power supply?  Also, where are you playing the files from?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Hairy
I was tempted to try and save up for a third box but sense got the better of me  Cheesy

I don't have any (yet) but I don't think you can have 'too many' if you can find practical uses for them.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've recently got one, and the NoIR camera to go with it (I want to film myself sleeping to see if a Doctor has diagnosed my sleep problem correctly).  I've got the Pi up and running with no difficulties, on a WiFi dongle, SSHing and TightVNCServer-ing. 
But I haven't managed to get the camera working.  I checked the option when I did the first boot of NOOBS in to Raspbian to enable the camera (this was before I'd pushed the camera's flex pins in to the slot).  And since plugging the camera in, I've tried to install motion, and the extra files for a Pi, following the instructions linked to from the Raspberry Store: Raspberry Pi as low-cost HD surveillance camera  But nothing happens.
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: Kelly
Strat:  Raspbmc should be fine for 1080p.  Have you tested your power supply?  Also, where are you playing the files from?

1) Not as yet
2) From a network drive via ethernet
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Get a cheap  multimeter and check the voltage.  If it drops too low, the Pi can't handle the decoding.   http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#Troubleshooting_power_problems
How are you mounting the network drive? If you are using SMB, try using NFS instead, needs less overheads.  (My Pi works ok on with SMB though....)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

I use raspbmc too, never had any issues with it on 1080p,
It's set up with a 2TB USB drive plugged in to my router and then ethernet from router to a switch behind my tv and then out to pi. I've got raspbmc set up as SMB.
Power is supplied via the usb port on my satellite box, I did have it plugged in to my TV USB port but it powers down when TV goes to standby where as sat box keeps the power live.
I did have a few performance problems with mine to begin with but found I didn't have enough room on my SD card to got a bigger one and performance has been a lot better. I've not tried overclocking yet!
Strat
Community Veteran

@Kelly
Thanks, I'll check the voltage on the supply (it's a 2 amp Samsung tablet supply).
I'll also try a faster, larger SD card.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I run my xbmc on a 1Gb sdcard  Grin One of the benefits of openelec.
The only slow down I see is if I have DTS passthrough disabled, my TV decodes it so just leave it on, and am playing a 1080 with DTS. I power it from a no name 5V 2A psu. All my media comes from nfs shares though. No smb allowed here  Grin
For my dev unit I have ordered one of these HDMI->VGA + sound, so I can plug it in play with stuff on screen via my usb KVM.
picbits
Rising Star

The last time I played with a Pi, I had it initially booting from the SD card then network booted the rest of the system.
I also had PXE boot setup for all of my Acer Revos which worked very well. That way the only hard drives were in the server and they were monitored for errors / bad sectors etc.
Unfortunately I got sidetracked and still need to finish the project  Grin
TORPC
Grafter

Funny enough I just had Raspberry pie & custard (do you think SWMBO is trying to tell me something)  Grin Grin Grin Lips_are_sealed