cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram Speed Issue?

God
Grafter

Ram Speed Issue?

On a new build I have a pair of matched ram sticks. The sticks (OCZ2T1066IO1G)state they should run at 5.5.5. 2.1v
I haves used bios settings to set them up at 5.5.5.15 2.1v and all seems to be ok with no memtest failures or blue screens but something is nagging me that I would like your opinion on.
If I run any utility such as Everest. Easy Tune etc
They all show that one stick is running at 333 5.5.5.15 and the other at 270 4.4.4.13
Does this matter? Shouldn’t the BIOS setting force them both to the same speed?
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Ram Speed Issue?

They should be both at the same speed.
I am now going to sound very patronising - sorry - but you did put the ram in the correct slots so that they work in dual mode and not independantly
There is another possibility - but I have no idea how it could happen - and that is the automatic load system is backing one stick off more than the other.
One way to check is to manually overclock the motherboard by a very small amount - this will usually stop the automatic system working
Also have a read here http://www.avforums.com/forums/hard-drives-memory-ram-cards-sticks/952126-running-2-different-ram-mo...
God
Grafter

Hi Jim
I have them running in slot one and three but it might be worth swapping them to two and four to see if it changes anything. I suppose the other thing to try is to swap the modules in the same slots and see if they rotate speeds or not.
It’s a gigabyte board and the slots are colour coded so I am fairly sure they are right. I did once have a problem on another machine where ram stability was bad in one set of slots but not the other.
Thanks
Peter
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Peter,
looking at my Gigabyte manual GA-P35-DS4 it states
When memory modules of different capacity and chips are installed, a message which says
memory is operating in Flex Memory Mode will appear during the POST. Intel® Flex Memory
Technology  offers  greater  flexibility  to  upgrade  by  allowing  different  memory  sizes  to  be
populated and remain in Dual Channel mode/performance.
I wonder if one of the memory chips isn't what it says it is.
One place to raise it is the  OCZ support  forum http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/index.php
God
Grafter

It is showing as dual channel interleaved, no mention of flex mode. I will raise it on the OCZ froum (as soon as they send a confirmation email!). Thanks for your help Jim.
All the best
Pete
God
Grafter

Hi Jim
I have the answer, they were running at the same speed! I am afraid I was confusing the Everest reporting of the SPD tables as a report of the two sticks running at different speeds.  Embarrassed
Cheers
Peter