cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radmin

iainmac

Radmin

I use Radmin to remotely access a server that I have hosted.  I can access it from offices in different locations, but when I try to access it from home using plus.net the round trip is so slow its almost unusable, although a speed test says I have 3Mb speed.  Any ideas?
....oh also, its much much worse after about 4pm!
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Radmin

What product are you on?
Have you exceeded any allowances on it?
What are the ping times to the remote server?
Have you tried with any software firewall disabled temporarily? Same for Anti-virus scanners.
What is the setting for the broadband firewall (the PN firewall). If on, try with it off and remember to reboot router.
Ianwild
Grafter

Sounds an interesting problem  :-[. I can think of three possibilities:
- You are on a product (Like BBYW Option 1) where the app isn't being given a high enough priority (it should still be usable though, if slow).
- We are not classifying the application you are using appropriately. It's not as simple as I would like, but you can check for this by following the instructions http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml As you are using a real-time app, it should be in the Gold queue by the sounds of it.
- You are suffering local exchange contention at peak times. Unfortunately this is hard to prove. You may find that an upgrade to Max Premium helps with an app like this anyway. We have done a few of these manually for people for a charge of £25 a quarter on top of the normal subscription. This gives a higher upload speed and has been known to bypass exchange contention issues, although I'm not up on BTs current guarantees around this.
Ian
James
Grafter

Regarding Ian's suggestions:
It's definitely not the first one.  But I'd agree that either of the last two could be a cause.
I'd definitely suggest trying to do a Wireshark capture and see how it reports the traffic.
I radmin merely just another form of VPN/RDP?
pcoventry76
Grafter

it's remote PC software
http://www.famatech.com/