Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RPi type board for windows?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

RPi type board for windows?

So the leccy bill has become an issue just lately.. so i need to kinda erm.. well cut down on the PC usage. The snag is there's still things i'd like to run 24/7 such as a vpn endpoint, mail server and various other things written in delphi - which compiles programs for windows (and yes i know the later versions support linux and android but i use an old one).

Anyway.. is there an equivalent board out there like the RPi that runs windows? - preferably Win7. Needs to be similar size, small power requirements and cheap!

I have two mini itx boards but i think they'll probably use too much leccy..

I know it's a tall order.. but i really don't want to be learning another language and operating system just to have some services running 24/7.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
15 REPLIES 15
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: RPi type board for windows?

I always thought RPis were Linux based devices, don't think they can run Windows. How many PCs are you running 24/7 are they really pushing up your bill?🙄

7up
Community Veteran

They are indeed linux devices.. and that's why i asked:

@7up wrote:

Anyway.. is there an equivalent board out there like the RPi that runs windows? - preferably Win7. Needs to be similar size, small power requirements and cheap!

🙄 🙄 🙄

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

there are plenty of windows machines that are small - but you won't get anything as cheap as a Pi.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@7up 

Have you had a look at where the power is going to see if there’s other ways of reducing consumption? Many homes have dozens of small devices that are plugged in 24/7. A few watts each tots up!

I have made up a monitor by splicing a proper kWhr meter like this https://www.jsgsolutions.co.uk/landis-and-gyr-5235b-kwh-meter-with-pulsed-output-single-phase.html into an extension lead. Many of the simple meters only read current and assume the voltage. These are hopelessly inaccurate when monitoring low power equipment with switched mode power supplies as they measure KVAhr not KWhr., which is what domestic customers are charged for.

Have you also looked at where the power is going in your computers, for example, have you looked at changing the. HDDs for SSDs or using a more efficient graphics card?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

7up
Community Veteran

There's only two power hungry devices that stay on a lot really - my PC and the fridge freezer in the garage. The latter has been active since the first lockdown, the former wasn't and although it did later start being left on all the time, it wasn't when the FF went into use so the PC is really the only device that could be doing it. Graphics are onboard so not exactly a power hog there either. Admittedly i do leave the lights in eh garage on quite often but they're LED so still not a patch on the PC.

Only other things are the TV in standby and the fridge freezer in the kitchen (no we weren't panic shoppers - the freezer in the kitchen is way too small and the fridge is massive - in the garage the old one has a bigger freezer and we don't use the fridge). Phone chargers too but that's it.

Literally the item with the biggest power supply / demand is the PC - it's only a single core machine too but i guess i need to cut down on it's usage..

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@7up  what sort of heating do you use for Central Heating, and Hot water... ?  Do you have electric oilfilled radiators?  are the heating devices on a timer ? or are they on thermostat control...

Our heating/hot water is Gas ch... and we use the thermostat  in manual mode... i.e. when we feel cold,. we turn up the heating from  ( base ) 5c... to one degree above the present time displayed temp... e.g. temp showing 18c.. we feel cold.. wind up the thermostat to 19 ... room warms up... we feel comfy again... thermostat cuts off back to 5c. until the next time.

Also... we use cold water for washing up.... there is a lot of wasted hot water in the pipes if you keep using hot water for small jobs, which you replace the next time you use the hot tap, draining off that "unused" hot water, and replacing it with more waste hot water... if you understand that process...

Yeah.. I know its Gas.. but if you have elec and it is on thermostat..control.. you may not notice it is on and off all day long, and night time too... I also know you have a "little one" that you will want to keep warm... but.. just some thoughts for you to digest.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@7up 

Have you counted up the things that aren’t, in your words, power hungry? The clock on the cooker/microwave, the security lights, the timers/clocks, the video recorder, the Plusnet hub, the cordless phones etc. I stopped at about 30. They only need to consume a couple of watts each on average and you have a significant standing 24/7 load.

With respect to your PC, is the display left on standby? Have you considered changing to a SSD, for basic tasks you can get 128GB for about £20.

I would look very carefully at fridge freezers specially old ones. The insulation can get wet with condensation, especially when kept in garages. I once had one that was running almost continuously. When I looked the insulation was frozen solid, such was the degradation. You might think that it’s cool in the garage but the temperature difference will still be over 30 degrees, which has to be maintained.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@7up 

Further to what dvorak said at post #4, have you looked at some of the small form factor PCs such as Intel NUC and similar? Some of those have very low power consumption compared to a standard desktop/tower computer, so low that they can be passively cooled.  Obviously a monitor would increase overall consumption.

Perhaps you could rig up a solar panel with a 12V car or leisure battery which could provide some free (apart from initial outlay) electricity for the smaller PC.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Is a containerised solution an option open to you?

Using the likes of Docker you can use the same hardware to run your services in whatever OS fits the bill just download and deploy it in the container of choice. 

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

I know you want v7 but Windows 10 runs on the Pi 3 and 4

7up
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@7up 

I would look very carefully at fridge freezers specially old ones. The insulation can get wet with condensation, especially when kept in garages. I once had one that was running almost continuously. When I looked the insulation was frozen solid, such was the degradation. You might think that it’s cool in the garage but the temperature difference will still be over 30 degrees, which has to be maintained.

Funny you mention that, i had been wondering about that thing. The garage does get incredibly warm in the summer and obviously it's got to work harder to keep cool / freezing. It could be that which is using all the huice but i doubt i'll persuade the boss of the house to accept that - she's too busy filling up the freezer in the kitchen with her vegetarian food and anything non vege for me and the little man gets shoved out there.

@Mook thanks i'll look at that.

shutter
Community Veteran

@7up  Would it be possible to make some kind of "extra" external insulation panels to fit around the Garage Freezer, using polystyrene sheeting reclaimed from the tip ? Cover them with broken down carboard boxes and brown tape.

Alternatively.. build an internal "shed" space that you can close the door to, insulating the roof and any wall area that is likely to get full sun on it.  in effect a "freezer room" just for the freezer to be kept at a lower temperature ...

Alternative to that.... buy a more modern freezer, that will use less leccy ! ( not necessarily brand new.. 2nd hand would work, as I know your finances are a tad tight , what with the "little un" and all . ! ) 

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

Alternatively.. build an internal "shed" space that you can close the door to, insulating the roof and any wall area that is likely to get full sun on it.  in effect a "freezer room" just for the freezer to be kept at a lower temperature ...

@shutter   I suspect that would probably have the opposite effect as it would trap the heat given off by the freezer!  Cool

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Well, I`m no engineer... it was just a thought that came into my mind... having pointed out the problem...perhaps it could be re-designed with ventilation holes at the bottom, and the top , thereby creating a thermostatic pathway for the heat to escape.  Smiley  Cheesy