cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RJ45 coupler or purchase / make full length cable(s)

TORPC
Grafter

RJ45 coupler or purchase / make full length cable(s)

As per title
Something like this Philex UTP Cat 6 Coupler
to add approx 1 - 2Mtr to an existing embedded in the wall install of 6Mtrs of cable (Have loads of spare 1 - 2Mtrs Cat5 (courtesy of ISP's) (Shhh dont tell talktalk I still have some from beta testing their routers last year)) Wink
Or
1. Purchase new
2. Make new (Have the ends) (Will still need to purchase the cable)
14 REPLIES 14
picbits
Rising Star

Re: RJ45 coupler or purchase / make full length cable(s)

I'd try the coupler.
Then if you damage the cable, you can just plug a new bit in Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@TORPC, you can get this: RJ45 Cat6 UTP Network Ethernet LAN Cable Lead Coupler - from eBay for £3.05 - Free P&P
TORPC
Grafter

Cheers guys Smiley
@Doms
Good thinking, seems we are on the same wavelength Wink
@MC
Great thought, however
I am guessing that Screwfixe's flavour is also unshielded
I was looking @ Screwfix as they are only just around the corner in walking distance there & pick up tomorrow Wink
Or do I order from ebay & make those who need it wait, for snail mail ?Huh
It is only because the kids want to move their room around (but guess who gets nagged & it ain't their mother that gets nagged) Tongue
That said (Lightbulb moment ) I could make encourage them to walk to Screwfix, (after all it is for them) Wink (guessing it may cost more money though)
Edit:
I could go for the cheaper CAT5E flavour
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Couplers are okay for those ad-hoc moments when, for example, you have some urge to locate the network printer in the shed this afternoon and you've only got two short leads - and WiFi is not an option. For permanent operations, a custom lead is second to none. Just remember the boot goes on the cable before you crimp the plug. That said, you can get molded one, two and five meter Cat5 leads from your local pound shop [ for a pound ]
BTW I've dealt reliably with these guys. They have a full range of network cables at various lengths > http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Thunderclap
Just remember the boot goes on the cable before you crimp the plug.
BTW I've dealt reliably with these guys. They have a full range of network cables at various lengths > http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/

Did you learn that the hard way, like I did (My excuse, I was distracted (True fact))
Cheers for the link although I did see them during the quest  Wink
I could go the extra mile & redo the whole lot, as the rooms need decorating anyway, so (SWMBO keeps saying) Roll_eyes I forget how many times she has chosen the colour schemes in the past 4 months Tongue
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Or you could always get yourself a switch...
(for flexibility).  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

TORPC
Grafter

I installed extra plugs in their room last year & they still complain that they don't have enough,
PLUS
I have to keep reminding them to unplug, their hair curler / straightener thingamabobs amongst other things
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool I was asked by someone if they could wire their entire house for networking - just like their office was. Even though it would have been a fun project, I concluded that given the amount of drilling, channeling, running and making good required, a combination of mains based networking plugs and an industrial grade Wireless-N access point, was the way ahead. In the end, no buildings were harmed.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

TORPC
Grafter

We have sat down had a good discussion, & decided to go with the coupler from Screwfix for the short term, maybe a long term (see how long I can get away with it) (knowing the girls, wont be too long)) Tongue
& the kids are paying for it out of their pocket money & are on their way to get it (surprised as me (I bet you are)) Wink
It isn't a cost of item, (issue)
It is more of stop flaming nagging @ me  Wink
Here comes the con catch
I have had to agree to decorate their bedroom, before the end of summer
Little do they know / realise, I was going to do it anyway (when I / if, I get around to it, that is)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Thunderclap
Cool I was asked by someone if they could wire their entire house for networking - just like their office was. Even though it would have been a fun project, I concluded that given the amount of drilling, channeling, running and making good required, a combination of mains based networking plugs and an industrial grade Wireless-N access point, was the way ahead. In the end, no buildings were harmed.

A house?
I once networked an entire small shop (3 stories + basement) using co-ax ethernet and BNC sockets.
The servers were in the basement.  Roll_eyes

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

TORPC
Grafter

I have done a few houses / flats, where they have the router in the Attic / Loft / Basements
However that was for a private landlord & the buildings were in the re-construction phase (made life easier) as I didn't have to re-plaster the dry-lined-walls etc

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The biggest networking job I did was the factory and offices where I worked.
Quite a few gigabit switches involved in that job.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Or you could always get yourself a switch...
(for flexibility).  Grin

I guess this is the wrong type Tongue Cheesy
Quote from: TORPC
A Belkin F1B024E 2-Port Data Switch
Managed to get a link so you can have a visual look Wink
http://www.texomamarketplace.com/index.php?a=2&b=23443
TBH I do not think I have ever used it
One of the many things I picked up along my travels to the computer fairs Smiley