cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF noise from Thompson power pack

andrewpam

RF noise from Thompson power pack

Hi, any radio enthusiasts had issues with interference from the supplied Thomspon router power pack ?
Have tried many things to try and reduce the hash created by this device from MW through to about 2mhz, ferrite rings etc, but to no avail
I think my only solution is to replace the power pack or get a new router setup. The power supply is rated at 22v, which are far from a standard voltage. Has anyone any experience of using a different power pack and if so what voltage will the router work ok with. I have many 12/14 VDC packs, but not tried any of these. Have tested the output of the cheap supplied pack and its about 18Vdc
If not will prob go for Netgear router and not waste £20 on just a new power pack!
Thanks for any help
Regds
Andrew
5 REPLIES 5
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: RF noise from Thompson power pack

You could try making a faraday cage out of tin foil, and put it around the power pack!
Or just buy a new router.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd definitely recommend looking at an alternate router instead of an alternate power supply. There will probably be warranty issues if you use a non-standard PSU.
andrewpam

Thanks for replies, did try the foil around the power pack and earthed to a radiator, works fine and blocks the rf if radio is close by, ie next to it !, but further away with very long wire aerials, its still out there !
The power pack would appear to cheaply manufactured with no chokes to stop anything leaking out.
So looks like will take note of not using alternate power pack, and have to get a new router setup etc
Thanks and Regds
Andrew
dejjones
Rising Star

Plusnet recently sent me a TG585v8 to replace my ST585v6 (which was suspected faulty). The fault has turned out to be on BT's system.
However I have found that I have reverted to using the v6 as it is much more stable than the v8.
v8 takes my IP Profile down to 3000 Kbps whereas with the v6 it sits at 5000 Kbps
I wander if the RF noise from the v8 power supply, is getting onto the phone line?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I had a D-Link 2640B which went "up the creek" and was replaced with a PlusNet issued Thomson 585 v8.... I use "inSSIDer" to see what wireless networks are transmitting, and I have a pic of the signal trace of my D-Link and the Thomson 585 v8.... the D-Link shows a steady trace, whereas the Thomson 585 v8 shows a regular "dip" in signal level, every 60 seconds or so.... I have mentioned this a couple of times on my support tickets. but it seems to have been ignored...
Your posting about interference on the BT wires, has prompted me to respond on here,
Hopefully I can upload the photograph from my screen,...... the top trace on the pic  (BLUE) is the D_link) and the second trace (ORANGE) is the Thomson trace.... they are both about the same distance from the laptop... (about 1 metre)...

EDIT EDIT
more trace pics can be seen on my blogsite
http://nemosphotography.blogspot.com/2010/10/inssider-wireless-trace-friday-1700-to.html