cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Router: Zoom X5... SNTP setting?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

RESOLVED: Router: Zoom X5... SNTP setting?

Hi all
Our router (Zoom X5) has a setting in its admin to use a SNTP setting for the clock.
When I enable it and click submit it then says there is no server configured  Shocked I've trawled all over the admin pages and can't find anyway to set a ntp server.
Any ideas?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
5 REPLIES 5
Waldo
Grafter

Re: Router: Zoom X5... SNTP setting?

There are several models of X5; I'd try the UserGuide for whichever model you have.
7up
Community Veteran

Re: Router: Zoom X5... SNTP setting?

Yup, I did think of that but it seems to be one of those 'undocumented features' in the pdf which I've already downloaded Wink
What is it with tech manufacturers these days? - They'll include all these silly extra bits and not tell you how to use them. Like with mobile phones.. they'll have some silly option allowing you to choose what network to connect to.. but fail to tell you that you what, why or when you might want to use this or how - It's just magically there in the phone options.
Highly annoying.. Oh well..hey ho Wink
7up
Community Veteran

Re: RESOLVED: Router: Zoom X5... SNTP setting?

Just an update:
After speaking to Zoom support via their online chat system, they confirmed that the router didn't actually have the feature enabled in the firmware installed on it - they even tested one of their own while talking to me to confirm it (not many companies go out of their way like that these days).
They then upgraded the firmware on their test unit and found that the sntp feature was active in this one and recommended I do the same.
I'm pleased to report that after following their advice, I now have SNTP enabled on my router and whats more it allows you to store multiple SNTP servers  Cool
Needless to say ntp.plus.net is also in that list Wink
The model in case anyone else has this problem is the Zoom X5 5654.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have you enabled NTP on your PC too?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran

On some of them yes. Oddly on my desktop no I haven't - Don't ask I'm not quite sure how I missed that myself! I use a 3rd party app on the other machines but for some reason never installed it on this one. Won't matter much longer as I'll be reinstalling the OS soon...
I just wanted the router to be able to update its own clock automatically whenever the power was restored. Now I have that (and an array of ntp servers if it finds one down) I'm far happier with it!