Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM question

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

RAM question

My 10inch laptop...  seems a little "sluggish" ... some keyboard/mouse actions seem to take a long time to actually "execute".... currently on a slow internet connection, which may account for some delays on page loading etc... so I thoght I would check to see what RAM is installed... and ask on here, if anyone can advise me if an increase of ram would  speed things up a bit.... ( when typing just now... usually about 40wpm .... there was some "hesitation" between the key press on letters to appearing on sceen... ) I don`t do gaming, and You tube vids seem to run ok, when I am on my home internet connection, running at 6GB .

Details as per Crucial Scan...

system specs as shipped

memory

• Maximum Memory:2GB
  • Standard Memory:1GB removable
  • Slots:1 (1 bank of 1)
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Windows 7 Professional 32 bit.   Up to date.  as of 21/09.//2018   Hard Drive:  Local Disc (C:) 189GB free of 232GB

Note the above..... Not to exceed Manufacturers supported memory....   but no explanation .

what would happen if  4GB of ram were fitted ?
49 REPLIES 49
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: RAM question

Difficult to say.

It might just use 2GB of the 4 and waste your money, or it might use all of it.

Speculation as talked about here.

I see that Crucial don't offer any more than 2GB modules.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

I don't quite understand the numbers relating to RAM. Presumably those are from the laptop manual?

How much RAM is currently installed?

For me, in my desktop, installing an SSD made a huge difference in responsiveness.

shutter
Community Veteran

@daveplus  there is 2GB of RAM installed at present... therefore.... according to the "note"  it is not recommended to go to 4GB... but doesn`t say why... I am asking that question... why can`t i?  or what happes if i did  ? 

SSD sounds like it might be a help,... but at over £56 is a tad expensive...  A "one piece" 4GB Module is available on ebay for about £28.00  from China in three to four weeks delivery...

eBay item number:382341322264

daveplus
Pro

Mr Memory is the best RAM supplier that I know.

https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/hannspree/hannsbook/sn10e20882221?search=Hannspree+Ha...

They are very helpful and well worth consulting.

Dave

ps I have assumed that you have done all that you can to optimize Windows, remove unnecessary startup apps etc

shutter
Community Veteran

@daveplus Thanks for the linky ... have just sent an email requesting their advice, and see what they say...

much appreciate your input... Thanks again.Wink

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The 2GB RAM is a computer limitation - maybe the motherboard or firmware or whatever.

Windows needs 4GB and is probably doing lots of swapping out to disk - might be worth looking at your swap usage.

You could try a SSD (because it can swap a bit faster) but it would basically be wasted.

A lightweight Linux would be much faster (because you don't get the same level of bloat).

Otherwise, a total reinstall of Windows if you have a couple of days spare might clean some of the dirt out of your system.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Malfunctioning security software can make a computer very sluggish.  Try uninstalling the security software temporarily and see if things improve.  Also see if the computer performs better in Safe Mode.

If a computer runs out of RAM it will start using a file on the hard drive as a substitute.  Reading and writing to this file can be relatively slow so the computer becomes sluggish.  But if you have an SSD then reading and writing to the drive is much faster so the slow-down is much less noticeable and so you see less benefit from extra RAM.

daveplus
Pro

Just to add to the information, I have a Windows 7 installation with a number of applications installed on a VM under VMware Workstation which functions very well. The VM is on a WD Blue hard drive and I have configured it with 1 processor and 2GB RAM.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

A VM uses the host for a lot of resources, so the guest can easily be smaller than a bare metal install.

I did an install of a W10 in 2GB RAM, allocating 50GB of disk and a dual processor on a Linux host and it runs as fast (or as slow) as laptop versions that I have seen.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

daveplus
Pro

32bit or 64bit?
shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard  @ReedRichards I have been using windows since 3.1 came out on floppy disc... i have tried Linux Mint from version 8...  I like Linux... BUT there are at least three of my fave progs that I use often, on WIndows, that are not compatible with Linux, nor is there any "linux equivalent" that does the same things. ( unless I want to use three linux apps to the one windows app )..

Running Windows 7 pro 32 bit... new install on clean hdd on 13/08/2018  all updates installed..... so hardly had time to acquire any dross.  a "clean/new" install would not do anything.

I have 50 small apps/progs listed on "programs and features"... many of which are only used once in a while...  I usually spend my time with this forum running.... some surfing for info.... some ebay searching... and some you tube searching... occ play some music vids... but as with all these... I am generally only tasking any two at any one time...i.e. may be playing a music video whilst ebay searching... 

No gaming is done...I`m not "Into" that... so the "processing" is on the light side ....

As for Anti-virus .... I am using Microsoft Security Essentials.... again... fully up to date.. no external virus software is used...

I use CCleaner every other night, to clean out any rubbish.... and also use the Reg Cleaner, after uninstalling any progs that I have downloaded, and disliked....

@daveplus  See the original post !   and the mention in this one ! ! ! ..

daveplus
Pro

Hi Shutter My 32/64 question was to VileReynard but given that your installation is 32bit and MS specify at least 1GB RAM, I am wondering what processor you have. Dave
shutter
Community Veteran

@daveplus there`s a little sticky label on the keyboard says "Intel Atom Inside" ... !

SYSTEM page reveals   Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450 @ 1.66GHZ 1.67GHZ

Note.... when it was new... I think it had a "cut down" version of Win 7 home... but I bought a DVD with win 7 pro on it,... so now has a "full" version installed....

Another note... It seems to be running ok at the moment...

Don`t suggest that I get the soldering iron out ! ! ! cos i ain`t that good with one of them... (Big Blobs... works fine for me ! !  on my radio builds,... but not on circuit boards ! !) .

daveplus
Pro

@shutter

That is good.

From https://ark.intel.com/products/42503/Intel-Atom-Processor-N450-512K-Cache-1_66-GHz it appears that 2GB is the max RAM that it supports