Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Plusnet 2704N router

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Questions about Plusnet 2704N router

I've been sent a 2704N router from Plusnet today and am trying to get to grips with things. I used to have the TG582n which went wrong with a recent firmware update. The 2704N interface is quite different but I've read the forums and discovered the expert user mode. Now I have some questions.
1) I would like to know exactly what to put where if I want to create static IPs for some of my devices. Do I set a range under the LAN settings?  At the moment it's set to:
Enable DHCP Server
      Start IP Address: 192.168.1.1
      End IP Address: 192.168.1.253
      Leased Time (hour): 24
      Static IP Lease List: (A maximum 32 entries can be configured)
Am I right in thinking that I should set it something like the following which I think was how the other router was set?
      Start IP Address: 192.168.1.64
      End IP Address: 192.168.1.253
Then do I click on Add Entries and enter the device's MAC address and an IP something like 192.168.1.10 (ie. lower than 192.168.1.64)?
2) Something I'm finding strange is on the Home tab in the normal admin area the list of 'Devices currently connected to your Plusnet Router' keeps changing but doesn't actually reflect the devices which are connected. For instance I have a PC and two VOIP phone bases connected to the ethernet ports and sometimes they don't all show even though they are always connected and appear to be working. I'm finding the same with wireless devices too. What would the explanation for this be? Are the connections constantly dropping and reconnecting?
3) Also, why are some devices showing up as 'unknown' in this section?
4) And finally, is there a way to label the devices so I can easily identify them like I used to in the old router?
Annie
7 REPLIES 7
Annie
Rising Star

Re: Questions about Plusnet 2704N router

I would appreciate some help on this as my Sky box and freeview box keep losing their connection and I'd like to put them on a static IP address. I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.
Annie
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Your suggested procedure sounds OK - if it doesn't work it can easily be reverted.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Annie
Rising Star

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I tried it and it wasn't right. Setting a static IP outside of the DHCP range was telling me the IP was invalid. I'm not sure where/how to set the range for static IPs. If this isn't possible, what should I choose for a static IP address?
Annie
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Does it workif you leave the start and end range at 1 and 253, then just pick a number inbetween for each device you have?
NedLudd
Grafter

With my Billion router I have the router set as #1 and the IP range as 2 ~ 100. This is the range the router will use to allocate IP addresses.
The static IP range is 101 ~ 255 and that is where I set the fixed addresses!
Geoff,
York.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

With my Netgear router I use 3 - 100 as the DHCP settings.
1 gets used for the router,
2 is unused (for historical reasons)
and 3 - 100 get used for DHCP - in such a way that most devices always get the same ip address.
I don't actually use 101 - 254, but 255 is always used on all routers as a broadcast address.
Most of my few addresses are given names in the Netgear router,
but I also place the same names in the hosts file on Linux PC's
I believe Windows also has a hosts file?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Annie
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies. My previous router was the TG582N and I was used to having a pool of dynamic IPs, then static ones could be set outside of the range. This 2704N won't allow it so I set the range back to the default and used a static IP address of  192.168.1.200 making the assumption that the router won't reach that number in a hurry. It's different behaviour than what I was used to.
I still can't see my sky wireless connector using my android phone so I think I'm actually going to have to try the static IP address on the device itself. The sky connector has always been a bit strange. There are two MAC addresses which appear with one letter at the end which is different. On my old router they would often show up with the same IP address (I think) and sometimes not. On this router, they seem to have different IP addresses but they don't both show up all the time. It's all very strange.
Annie