cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re Word and revisions to docs!

newinvention
Grafter

Question re Word and revisions to docs!

Hi, got a weird issue here. We've been updating a Word document (contract) using Track changes. Using Word 97/ Windows XP.
Once changes were finalised, and track changes switched off, comments/revisions erased and the document look fine - clean etc. But one of the people we've sent it to says he can still see all the revisions in the text, presumably in a different colour!!
How do you go about ensuring you have a clean document to send out? We have had this issue before, but it's only ever one or two people who seem to be able to see the changes we've made. I can't find anything about this in the help system.
Thanks to anyone who can shed light.
11 REPLIES 11
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Question re Word and revisions to docs!

What is this person opening it with? Are you telling it to accept the changes rather than just turn off tracking? Just turning off the tracking will leave the changes in the document.
Word 97 is an old product now, of course. I am not sure I would trust any MS product of that vintage to function perfectly! You could consider upgrading to a newer version of Word, or Openoffice (which is free, of course).
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I would endorse importing it into OpenOffice.
Word's "change control" was always unreliable. Why not examine the source with a text editor to see if you can spot any dodgy looking stuff.
You could always send final output as a pdf file - you could check the postscript produced - but I don't think anything would get through.
I wouldn't trust any product, especially a Microsoft product, of any vintage to always function perfectly.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

newinvention
Grafter

Hi both,
OK, what would I gain by importing it into Open Office (which we do have on our laptop)? Would that just show any revisions? Am looking in to upgrading my version of Office now. Thank you both.
God
Grafter

If you have it then give it a try, the theory would be that Open Office would strip out any extra data then you would export it back to Word and have the initial document only.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: newinvention
OK, what would I gain by importing it into Open Office (which we do have on our laptop)? Would that just show any revisions? Am looking in to upgrading my version of Office now. Thank you both.

So after your upgrade:-

• You trust the newer software to correct errors of the previous version and that there isn't any need to check this?

• You know, independently, that the offending material will not be visible to any non-Word program?

Sounds like you are paying your supplier for this bug fix, but without specifying what the bug is.

newinvention
Grafter

Thanks God - have done what you suggsted - exported and re-imported from Open Office and will see what the recipient makes of it this time. It's all so strange, 'cos I can't see the revisions to the doc myself.
AxisofEvil - I don't quite get the drift of your post! Sorry, I'm probably being thick! Are you saying I shouldn't bother with the upgrade in Office?
VileReynard
Hero

I was simply saying that an expensive upgrade will not give you any features you need and there is absolutely no guarantee that it will make any difference to your problem.
So basically, yes I was.

Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: newinvention
Hi both,

The idea is that you are at least using up to date software that may be more reliable. Also different software, i.e. not Word, will be written differently and may avoid some problem inherent in Word. I would strongly recommend using Openoffice full stop. Why pay through the nose to upgrade Word when you can have OO for free?
Openoffice will import any changes still present in the original document. So if Word 97 has left the changes in even after accepting them you will see it. Another advantage of OO is that you can save directly to PDF, so if you want to send out a read-only copy of a document that is the way to do it. 
madswitcher
Pro
Fixes: 1

Try doing "Accept all changes" in Word before shipping the file.
You can also get a utility from the Microsoft website that purtains to remove all personal information if you want to go to that step.
Cheers
Mike
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You can create PDF files directly from Word 97 (or any other software that has a print function).
Linky
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: jelv
You can create PDF files directly from Word 97 (or any other software that has a print function).
http://www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator

That's Open Source software you know!
It isn't an official M$ product.