cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question over VMBU tool

gswindale
Grafter

Question over VMBU tool

Not entirely too sure where to post this and more curious than anything.
At present; the VMBU tool shows that so far this month we've used 69.89GB of data which looks somewhat high (particularly as it includes over 20GB of "off-peak" usage when most of our devices are switched off).
I am aware that there is a four hour delay; so can assume that at this moment in time the actual usage recorded by this tool is well over the 70GB mark.
My router is showing the usage for the month as 59,681 MB (this is set to reset on the 2nd in line with my billing period) and is a "live" figure. 
I am aware that there is margin for error (roundings; but a discrepancy of over 10GB seems a little bit strange to me.
FWIW; last month the figures were PN: 27.93GB; my router 23,158MB; so again a reasonable discrepancy.
For some reason; I am more willing to believe my router's figures as all traffic must pass through it I would have thought?
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Question over VMBU tool

Does your router figure include both uploads and downloads? The VMBU figures include both.
David
gswindale
Grafter

Hi there!
Yes my router is displaying both uploads and downloads.
Having been out for a few hours; the router now shows 59793MB for the month and 1666MB today whilst PN is reporting 70.31GB for the month and 1.85GB for today so far.
With 2 PCs; our sonos device and tablets/phones; it is quite hard to pinpoint what could be the issue (although the streaming figure looks reasonable on the usage breakdown) - it seems to be "web" and "other" that look odd to me.
gswindale
Grafter

Bit more of an update as I'm now starting to monitor this more closely!
DateRouter (MB)Plusnet (GB)Difference (GB)
27/09/1442705.10.83
28/09/1425303.010.48

Getting closer; but when expressed as a percentage difference; they are both pretty close to being 16% out.  However my Aug/Sept total was 17% out.
Keeping an eye on this although usage seems much lower today.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Bear in mind Plusnet's definition of "MB" and "GB" may differ from that reported by your router...
gswindale
Grafter

Indeed they may.
However I would then expect the discrepancy to be a maximum of 7.37% assuming we use a byte as our base figure with PN then decimalising upwards rather than 2^10.