cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for those owners of Billion 7800N routers....

pawhe955
Grafter

Question for those owners of Billion 7800N routers....

I know that there are a couple of Billion 7800 users that frequent these boards - was just hoping that they might be able to answer a question for me....
I've only been using the 7800N a month or so (updated to latest UK Firmware v1.06b almost immediately after purchase, so no baseline to compare with for this issue - my bad) - and it's delivered on the often quoted ADSL line speed improvement, and exceptional Wireless range, etc. However, I've just noticed a small issue whereby my Wireless Network Camera (Axis 207W) often becomes unreachable - both from external (via a virtual server config) but also/at the same time, via the internal Network, e.g. from any other wired or wireless PC. Other Wired and Wireless laptops, phones and iPods continue to enjoy great throughput and Wireless stability, when in use.....  Rebooting either the Camera, or the router, and connectivity returns immediately.
I wondered if it's to do with the fact that the Camera is on permanently - whereas the other Wireless devices are mainly off overnight, and then resume from sleep/hibernation/boot up, which perhaps kicks the router into recognising that they have (re-)connected.....  I thought I might be onto something when I logged onto the router's telnet interface, and saw a stale entry in the arp table for the Camera's IP address (whilst is was still on) - so tried settings a static arp, but that hasn't helped.....
Router config. includes reserved IP via DHCP server, for Camera - and using WPA for Wirelesss secuirty. So, just wondered if any other 7800N users had a 'permanently on' wireless device that they were/were not having issues with....?Huh
Thanks,
P.
6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Question for those owners of Billion 7800N routers....

No help I'm afraid but you've just prompted me to check on my Linksys IP camera wirelessly connected to my 7800N.
It does lose wireless connection and I have to bring it down and cable link it to reconfigure.
Rebooting the camera is no help.
When I used a netgear router I had less issues but that could be coincidence.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

afraid I don't have any wireless device that's always on, they either sleep or hibernate.
closest is the printer which goes into powersave, but that never seems to drop the connection.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Looks like you're not alone.....  maybe a firmware problem?
http://custforum.axis.com/viewtopic.php?t=1070&sid=bf31673a642bade7e17e26c94b440188
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Looks like a totally different router and issue?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Several different routers mentioned but appears to be the same, or a very similar, issue. All have wireless connectivity problems which are apparently down to the firmware in the Axis device.
pawhe955
Grafter

Hi all - thanks for taking the time to reply.
Only today did I think about whether Axis had their own forums (had never used them), and had a trawl before coming back here - and yep - found the same post as nozzer, which reminded me that I only upgraded to ver. 4.44.2 of firmware fairly recently... (it's funny how checking whether that shiny new device you've just bought is up to date with firmware, triggers you to go looking for latest firmware and updates for all those other devices that you've forgotten about - possibly 'cause they just kept working o.k.)....
Been pondering, and realised that I'd done the Axis camera firmware upgrade, and the router firmware upgrade quite quickly in succession and in a bit of a hurry - and realised that I hadn't taken the time to do what I normally do, in resetting back to factory defaults *after* the upgrade, and starting the configuration from scratch again (probably also because they both *appeared* to come up o.k. after their respective upgrades....). So that looks like my next step. Good job it's the weekend.
Thanks,
P.