Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about mobile internet

techguy
Grafter

Question about mobile internet

Calling all roving net users
When you are out on the road and not using your PN connection I would assume that you use one of the mobile 3G data solutions.
Quick question for you if you please as I'm trying to help a customer in my day job.
If the dongle hands over to GPRS or vice versa, I would assume that the dongle has to request a new IP from the DHCP server?
2 REPLIES 2
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Question about mobile internet

Nope,
Certainly the Orange USB 3G hardware that we use here will maintain the same "external" IP address over 3g and GPRS, although there is usually a short (1s duration) pause when a handover between the two occurs.
However, there is a fair amount of "network" between the external gateway and the actual device itself, and as was raised in another thread, a lot of NATting and private IP's.  That means that it's probably not an easy task to contact the remote device without some sort of VPN.
B.

techguy
Grafter

Re: Question about mobile internet

Can only think that our server is detecting the break in connection and terminating the session.
I'm assuming though that if the connection is completely lost for any period of time then the IP will change.
Never used one of these things so don't know much about them.