cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about credit card terminals

oliverb
Grafter

Question about credit card terminals

Something that came up in conversation with someone who owns a shop. Don't know the details but...
Seems that if you have a credit card terminal connected via phone you can't put broadband on the same line, or not unless you pay considerably more. Now I can't quite see this UNLESS the line for the terminal had to be an ISDN line?
Does that sound right?
6 REPLIES 6
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Question about credit card terminals

If it's filtered it should be fine - AFAIK these just use a dialup modem to transmit the data. You might notice a bit of slowdown on the ADSL possibly due to extra noise on the line, but it shouldn't make that much difference.
Hope that helps,
zubel
Community Veteran

Was a couple of years back, but I seem to recall that most card terminals used a 'callback' for security - you dial them and they immediately drop the connection and call you back on the specific number that they have on record for you.
This was before Chip and Pin though, so it has likely changed since.
B.
God
Grafter

Used to have a CC machine and BB. No problems whatsoever.
oliverb
Grafter

Well thanks for the advice everyone.
I expect its either a security component or just confusion between the various services.
God
Grafter

Sorry, just noticed the ISDN query, I was using a standard BT line.
God
Grafter

I had a bog standard BT line on business tariff. You could make credit card transactions and be on the web. You couldn’t use the handset while you were CC transacting. It wasn’t rocket science, the CC machine dialled out like a 56k modem. Unless they have changed it in the last two years it is still the same.