cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about CGI/PHP setup

oldgustav
Grafter

Question about CGI/PHP setup

I use Mac OS and a web design program called Rapidweaver. The program has the ability to make an email response form using PHP. I have CGI enabled in my Plusnet website settings and I can 'see' the CGI folder when I use my FTP program (Transmit) to upload the website files. I have put all the website files in htdocs/domainname and they are working fine. I have put the contact form folder and the files contained within into the CGI folder but when I click on the contact form link all it does is download the file named contact.php. I have spoken to PlusNet on the phone but (a) I am not clear about what they are saying to resolve the problem and (b) they are not keen to support this issue on the phone. You'll have guessed by now that I am not at all savvy about PHP/CGI. I gave up last year and instead am using a free service called Wufoo for the contact forms but I'd prefer to get this working on the website if possible. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Question about CGI/PHP setup

If you haven't fixed it yet, one possible answer is you are looking in the wrong place.  Normal webspace is contained in the htdocs folder, this webspace is not CGI.  Webpsace is usually www.username.plus.net (or something) and cgi webspace is ccgi.username.plus.net.  So basically you need to change your FTP from ftp://www.username.plus.net to ftp://ccgi.username.plus.net
oldgustav
Grafter

Hi dgwebb. Thanks for the reply. I already have access to the cgi webspace and put my .php files here. But from what you are saying, should I upload the entire website to the cgi webspace and evacuate htdocs?
David_W
Rising Star

Well, the PHP ones you need to put on the CGI webspace, the normal ones can go in htdocs on the normal webserver, you won't be able to parse the PHP docs unless they are on the PHP server but it will probably be a lot easier to have them all on the cgi server and if you have a domain name, it can point to the ccgi server too
oldgustav
Grafter

The thing is, my web design program, RapidWeaver sets up all the 'links' so to put the .php files on the separate cgi server will mean manual editing all the links. I'm keen to avoid this. The new Plesk server is meant to overcome this as I understand it, so I may just make the switch now. Seems PlusNet are a bit behind the times with webspace functionality.