Did you mean: 

Query about line sockets.

FIXED
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Query about line sockets.

Hi each/all.

This is just a question that's been bugging me since joining PN. I see so many posts about plugging equipment into a test socket but when engineer called to see to my connection on first joining, he took the faceplate off the master (there is only 1 socket in the house), there is no test socket (and still isn't).

Question is, how can stuff be tested when there is no test socket? or do I need to have someone out to upgrade said socket?

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
20 REPLIES 20
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Query about line sockets.

depends how old your socket is.
if it's not an NTE5 socket then it won't have a removable bottom section with a test socket behind it.

you can request openreach come out and upgrade the socket but you'll be charged for it unless there is a fault which requires the socket to be replaced.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

The reason for the removable faceplate type master socket is that any extension wiring is connected to the faceplate and is then the responsibility of the customer and can be extended/changed by them without BT being involved. Using the 'test socket' disconnects the extension wiring and thus eliminates any faults in the extension wiring and and potential charges by BT for 'faults in customer equipment. when called out to investigate faults.

In you case you don't have any extensions and therefore all the wiring is BT's responsibility and testing from the master socket is all you can do. Having said that, I would have expected the engineer to 'regularise' your socket when he attended and fit the normal master socket. Maybe it was a contractor, and not a proper BT engineer, as they seem more reluctant to spend any absolutely unnecessary time if they can avoid it.

Bottom line is that unless you have/want any extensions then what you have is perfectly ok

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Thanks both for the replies.

The only thing that was changed was the actual faceplate, and it's just 1 piece, and he only changed that because it was cracked. I was thinking of having another socket fitted upstairs but decided against it for now. 

I only asked because of so many posts where the answer seems to be "plug into test socket" but that's only assuming all connections have them, we don't. But what you both said makes sense. Thanks.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

The following should help you identify which socket you have

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40812/~/what-type-of-master-socket-have-i-got%3F

Brian

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@bmc...

Looking at those pics in the link you provided, the socket I have is the very first pic. and it's the only socket in the house. Now, when engineer came, that face-plate was cracked and that's all he changed (apart from a bit of wiring behind it).

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

The crux of the matter is whether you have any extension wiring daisy chained in the back of this socket.to the incoming BT cable. This can happen. If so you will not be able to isolate your internal wiring for fault finding. If you're feeling brave carefully take the faceplate off and check how many cables are connected to it - it should only be the incoming one from BT..

Sorry,

Reading again I see that you have no other sockets in the house so you must be OK.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

I'm surprised they didn't replace the LJU2/1A with an NTE5, when I originally signed up for PN they replaced our NTE5 for a new style one, even though the existing one was perfectly fine for the job...

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

To be honest, to me it seemed like it was too much bother to change it all. All he said was "i'll just change that plate cos it's cracked and check the wires and that's it, job done".

I asked about extension(s) and his answer was "Just get one of them phone sets with 2 or 3 phones". He wasn't (or didn't) seem all that bothered.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Actually, just getting a DECT phone is a lot less bother & probably cheaper.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@VileReynard

Already done. Wifey decided to go and get one, and came back with something described as a phone. Built in call blocker, answer machine, all singing/dancing piece of plastic with buttons on it. Now all I need to do is go get a degree in Electronic Communications to operate the darn thing. Must admit though, it's nice to look at. Laugh

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Only defect is that these fancy phones don't work during a power cut. Sad

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

But doesn't everyone have a bog-standard cheapo wired phone for just that situation - I know I do, AND I know where it is. Smiley

John
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Errmm...I do now, thanks to wifey and this gadget she brought home. Cool_smiley

@VileReynard

They don't work in a power cut?...so what are the batteries for?

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Pete11 wrote:

@VileReynard

They don't work in a power cut?...so what are the batteries for?

Batteries power the handset, the base unit is mains powered!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.