cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query about Acronis software

jmd
Grafter

Query about Acronis software

Whilst waiting for my shiny new Dell laptop I have been perusing Amazon in respect of assistance in ensuring I back up regularly in future.  They have a new Acronis True Image product coming out 9th October which will work with Vista and Windows 7.  The description says it will also have the ability to let you load software for trial period to check no problems using it.
Do folk think this is a good buy please? 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/product-description/B002NGO1KO/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=300435...
7 REPLIES 7
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Query about Acronis software

Disk imaging is fine if you want to restore everything since you last backed up, but if all you really need is your files backed up then it is a bit OTT.  Undecided
Have a look here http://www.techmixer.com/fbackup-free-windows-backup-software/ for a free file backup solution that will backup to an external disk, backing up what you want rather than everything.
NB I don't use it, I run Linux and dropbox (Online backup of some items) It really depends on how much you have to backup. With disks growing in size and files growing with them, soon even DVD's will be too small to use (they already are if you try a full image backup of a full 1Tb disk to DVD 4.7Gb.. thats a lot of disks)
Not applicable

Biker - you echo my thoughts exactly. My Vista Business has the full back up thingy (I think) but never used it.
I just 'send' all my stuff to external hard drive and flash disks. Call me neurotic but I have two back ups!
Not bothered about backing up the system as I would find re installation easier and it is a nice fresh start.
Linux is even better so definitely just file backup for Ubuntu.
Like the look of your link so going to have a closer look at that.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have Acronis 2009 installed and unless you really want a disk image software it isn't a good idea as it gets it's claws in all over the place.
Even when you aren't using it, it  loads True Image Monitor and True Image Scheduler at boot which, in my opinion, slow things down quite a bit
Having installed it I created a boot CD which I use for my backups and disabled these two services.
For backing up my data I use SyncToy 2 which is free from Microsoft and auto backs up to a separate hard drive every day using the contribute option which means that if you delete a file it isn't deleted from the backup.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I backup a subset of my files to an internal disk.
Once a week I use rsync to backup to NAS (over wireless) Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

Biker - installed Dropbox on Ubuntu and on Vista - all working.
However, please could you tell me best way to use it? I notice that if you drag a document or a picture into the Dropbox, a copy is not left behind. In your day-to-day usage do you put all of your stuff in DP instead of Documents and Pictures or do you just put new stuff or changed items in the Dropbox?  Embarrassed
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I just have a folder under my home folder called dropbox (original eh?) and what I want copied is put there.
Same on any other PC you want a copy on. When dropbox has replicated it to their server it shows a blue tick on the folder/file.
Not applicable

Thanks for the explanation - I need to get used to using it but it seems like a very good idea.