Grafter

Qiana

RC on a mirror near you.
8 REPLIES 8
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Qiana

Cheers was just thinking it must be about due.
Downloading now.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Installed on a spare machine this morning
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm liking it.... Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Very stable for me. has anybody removed dnsmasq while keeping the network manager ?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Just installed it as my main system, replacing M16.
Spent most of the pm re-adding ppa's and installing the software I use. (& re-installing an Android tablet which got upset when I installed a new busybox - on the 3rd install this pm on it trying to get it to work with the PAID busybox installer the free one works fine  🐵 Got a working system now though.
Virtualbox was a bit of a PITA to install until I found a new ppa, Cairo-dock installed easily and found most of the bits, apart form the Calibre which I hadn't installed  Embarrassed Ran my update script to install it, having a ~/bin folder is a real boost.
Found that ffmpeg is now MIA, got to get used to the replacement.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

The final release of Linux Mint 17 is out
http://blog.linuxmint.com
PlusNeterNick

Hello people
I am on Mnt 17 and I have had terrible troubles trying to share files with my Windows 8.1 desktop machine. (The Mint machine is an old Dell laptop.) I've tried all sorts of methods mentioned on the web, but no matter what I do, the machines - which are both etherneted to the same Plusnet (fibre) router, can't see each other. Or rather the Mint machine sees the windows 'workgroup', but crashes (in Cinnamon's Nemo file browser) or reports an error (under the Dolphin file manager) when I tried to browse within the group; and Windows sees nothing of Linux. Putting the laptop on wireless doesn't help either.
I don't know whether the problem is with Windows, Mint, or the Router. And Plusnet says they do not offer support for home networking.
One indication that Windows is the problem is that when I try to share files via the Homegroup method I see a 'choose what to share' box with nothing - no folders - to chose from. Still, when I use 'simply file sharing' on Windows all works alright from within Windows. I suppose I need to get a friend with a Windows laptop to try to connect with my Windows desktop.
Any advice, please?
'Too long, didn't read': Mint and Windows can't talk to each other - help!
HairyMcbiker
All Star

More than likely it is the M$ pc that's firewall is stopping all local traffic sharing.
Try a quick disable of the firewall and see if they can see each other, if so then see if you can add the local network as trusted .. not used win 7/8/8.1 so generic help.
PlusNeterNick

Thanks, but I tried that already to no avail. Admittedly something that I have not tried is  temporarily uninstalling my rather aggressive firewall (which goes under the name 'SpyShelter').
dick:quote