Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puzzling PDF problem

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Puzzling PDF problem

Each week we receive an email telling us what our church activities will be for the next week. It is sent from one of two people. One uses the church address, the other a personal one. Both are, as it happens, with Plusnet.

Now the puzzle! If the email and PDF attachment comes from the church address, it is directed to my inbox, which I have set to forward to my wife's. She uses her IPad to read her emails, but can't open the PDF. If, however it comes from the personal address, she can open the email and read the PDF.

Can anyone suggest why this should be, and advise how to solve the difficulty?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
6 REPLIES 6
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Puzzling PDF problem

I don't think it's anything to do with the mail system. Much more likely to be the result of two different PDF versions. The two senders are using different ways of creating the PDF. One is creating PDFs that are incompatible with the reader your wife is using?

If you transfer both to your machine, can you open both?

Check the PDF version (Document Properties) of both.

Get your wife a different PDF reader.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

wrote:

I don't think it's anything to do with the mail system.

Actually it could be. Some mail systems will process the mail by parsing it (including attachments) and then rebuilding the email before forwarding it onwards. Indy sockets does this internally and many developers use this for their net enabled software as its free.

Luzern needs to do a bit more testing to narrow down the symptoms before we can really poke at an accurate shadow.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

You could try installing Foxit pdf reader on the Ipad. I've found in the past that it opens pdfs that other readers fail with.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have a similar thing, I use an Access database to generate quotes / invoices etc., my wife does my accounts and wants a copy of the invoices, if I include her in the email that goes to the customer, she cannot read it, if I send it from the invoice folder (same PDF), she can!  I also couldn't find out why the PDF files were so huge at 500Kb for a single page with 1 logo.  Turns out that Calibri is NOT the font to use, use Ariel, PDF files are now 20Kb, not 500 - 600Kb for the identical PDF.

Live long and prosper!
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

For now the problem is on back burner; other BB things to think about.

Thanks for comments so far.Smiley

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Size difference caused by fonts could be to do with font embedding... without doubt, arial will be a deault font, and will thus never get embedded, but anything else probably gets embedded.

You may find that there's an option in your .pdf printing app to disable font embedding.

And if not font embedding it could be something else very similar