cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting the memory card in the right way round in a digital camera?

MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Putting the memory card in the right way round in a digital camera?

Above.

I've been using digital cameras to take photos of comic cons and other events for years, and I still sometimes struggle with which way to put the memory card in the camera! Does anyone else have this problem?

I've even sometimes had to buy new memory cards after they break when I try and get them out after putting them in the wrong way, and they're not cheap.

Now I just get help setting the camera up if I'm going to be using it, like next Sunday down in Doncaster (and no, I am not linking to my Google Photos account on here)

Do you see? Cheesy
17 REPLIES 17
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Putting the memory card in the right way round in a digital camera?

@MrAllen2021 wrote:

I've been using digital cameras to take photos of comic cons and other events for years, and I still sometimes struggle with which way to put the memory card in the camera! Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm struggling to see the problem here.

If the card doesn't go in easily then it's the wrong way round. Why force it to the point of breaking it?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Simple way to solve this - in all the cameras I have had Canon, Polaroid, Kyocera and Kodak, plus a couple of other brands I can't recall, the side of the card with the pins on goes towards the back of the camera - i.e. the opposite side from the lens.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jab1 

The method suggested by @198kHz works for me and I don't even have to remember which way around it fits. I have put them in numerous different devices, phones, cameras, security cameras, tablet computers etc. and never managed to break one.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 that perfectly valid - I was talking specifically cameras and I don't even think about it now, but card slots in any device are designed to be idiot-proof, and simple logic has always told me if it don't go in easy one way - try t'other. 😉 There is only two options - unless you count trying to insert it upside-down.

John
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Just put a white spot on one side of the card and a matching spot on one edge of the card slot.

idonno
Champion

I haven't had many problems putting a micro card in a camera - as mentioned they tend to go in one way or the other. Although the newly bought dash cam did defeat me last weekend. Could I get the darn card to go in the slot while mounted on the windscreen - nope and I lost count of how many goes I had at it. Eventually thinking it had something stopping it going in which I couldn't see, I unhooked the device and .... in it went, just like that.

Weird. 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Memory cards have a label simply a matter of remembering the label faces you when inserting the card depending of course how you are holding the camera….

Do it once and you should remember that for good, even I can do it and my memory is awful these days.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@jab1 wrote:

... but card slots in any device are designed to be idiot-proof, ...

Well you've probably heard the saying "As soon as you make something idiot-proof, along comes a bigger idiot" @jab1  Wink

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I have only a Nikon Digital SLR now which I love.

I fail to see the problem here? Assuming it is say an SDXC card for example, you just put it in the right way you think it should be and see if it clicks in. Don't give it too much force, otherwise you can break the memory card, camera (or both). Then if it does (and works of course) you have.

jab1
Legend

@RobPN wrote:

@jab1 wrote:

... but card slots in any device are designed to be idiot-proof, ...

Well you've probably heard the saying "As soon as you make something idiot-proof, along comes a bigger idiot" @jab1  Wink

I have, @RobPN , I have - and I've even seen/heard some people claim to be such idiots. I sometimes despair for the human race.

John
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

Well just in preparation for the event this Sunday, I managed to set one of my old cameras up last night (bought it from CEX just over 2 years ago and it still works a treat) I even managed (on about the third attempt) to put the 32 Gig SD card in the right way.

Do you see? Cheesy
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The only problem I have had with Micro-sd cards is pushing them in far enough to lock.

I bite my nails so can't use them.

I've used the corner of a credit card to push the Micro-sd in that last bit.

The problem is a slip of the credit card and the Micro-SD can fly off resulting in a detailed search to recover it.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have lots of sims lying around. I usually use one of them as they seem just the right size and thickness for the job.