Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proxy set up on Firefox

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Proxy set up on Firefox

I have a static IP set on my Plusnet connection.
I want to be able to use my Plusnet IP with Firefox, so that when I am travelling with my laptop, it is my Plusnet IP which appears.  Having set it up, I had expected to see a request for my user name and password.  However, all I get is
"The proxy server is refusing connections"
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong ?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Vip3r
Grafter

Re: Proxy set up on Firefox

Could you please give us more details as to what exactly you have setup?
Have you configured your router to pass the required ports to the server that is running your Proxy?
If I wanted all my traffic to appear to come from my Home network then I Personal  would setup a VPN rather than a proxy.
shermans
Pro

Vipr3
I have sent you a PM.
Vip3r
Grafter

Hi shermans I have read your PM.
Most if not all web browsers have the ability to use a proxy, but (as far as I know) for it to work you will need a PC left on at home  in order to act as the Proxy server, as for the VPN then, again normally this will required the PC to be left on, however I do remember an old Netgear router that had a VPN option, all you needed to do was purchase the license for the PC software.
Either way you will need something left on at home to connect to and relay the data - this means that the limiting factor will be your upload rate, as all flow of data will be through your Plusnet Connection:
[tt]Laptop --> local ISP --> internet --> Plusnet --> home PC/router -->  Plusnet (448kb normally) --> internet --> local ISP --> laptop.[/tt]
Hope this helps.
brookie

Thanks; it answers the question indeed and obviously means that what I want to do is not going to work, because leaving the PC on when I am away is no good.
The only solution is to find a UK proxy that I can use without going through my home computer.  Does anyone know of a UK proxy service ?
Thanks
shermans
Pro

A friend has now offered to let me use his Plusnet connection / computer to set up a VPN, so that I could connect to his computer from abroad.  I have set up a VPN with the network Wizard, but when I try to connect, it asks for a User Name and Password.  I am not sure what this is - is it the user name of his router or is it the user name of his Plusnet connection ?  Or is it something else ?
Secndly, assuming that I am succesful and can connect how would I then use the VPN to connect to another website in the UK  ?  Would I look for Internet Explorer on his computer and then try to access the URL through his Internet Explorer ?
Sorry if I sound a bit of a novice.
Thanks.
Vip3r
Grafter

Hi,
Once you have the vpn server setup on your friends PC, you then need to setup the client on your PC. When asked for a username and password you will need to use a user account setup on his PC with rights for remote access.
Once connected your PC will then have access to the internet through the VPN network, using your internet browser should then result in the traffic going via his connection. Might be a good idea to go somewhere like http://www.whatsmyip.org/ to check that its reporting his IP address.