Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors + speed

Interested
Grafter

Processors + speed

I was wondering if anyone could help me out, please? Smiley
Seen a mini laptop with an Intel Atom Processor N270.
Is this an older processor newer processor than an Intel Celeron M?
A family member said speed is more to do with RAM / DRAM/ SCRAM is this true ot not?
BTW I only know that RAM = random access memory I don't really know  what other two are.
Thanks in advance for the replies.
16 REPLIES 16
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Processors + speed

what you are looking at is not technically a laptop, it is a netbook
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/atom/index.htm
The Intel® Atom™ processor is Intel's smallest processor, built with the world's smallest transistors and manufactured on Intel's industry-leading 45nm Hi-k Metal Gate technology. The Intel Atom processor was purpose-built for simple, affordable, netbooks and nettops.
Intel Atom processor-based netbooks and nettops offer both an easy-to-use mobile device with simple interfaces and targeted performance for a good online experience. They are rugged and compact in design, and offer the freedom and flexibility of wireless connectivity¹.
Great for Internet, these devices are an affordable option for education, photo and video viewing, social networking, voice over IP, e-mail, messaging, browsing, and numerous other Internet activities and basic applications.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what other spec  does it have.  i.e.  Linux,  Win Xp, Win 7.      what type of hard disc and size  (some have solid state)    How much memory does it have.  How many usb and other ports.
Anonymous
Not applicable

What you need to know is here http://ark.intel.com/
It says that the Celeron M was introduced in 2004, whereas the Atom was from 2008 !
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Interested
A family member said speed is more to do with RAM / DRAM/ SCRAM is this true ot not?
BTW I only know that RAM = random access memory I don't really know  what other two are.

Yes and No.
You can have the fastest available processor on the market but with only 32MB of ram the read and write operations to the hard drive will take forever. If you have the worlds slowest processor and 4GB ram you're also not going to be doing anything fast either.
It's basically like this: Get the best processor and ram you can afford for your money.
Low amounts of ram mean the system has to read and write data to and from the hard drive all the time because it doesn't have enough memory to store it in temporarily. Ram memory makes it far faster for the system to read/store temporary information. If the memory is low then the system will use the physical storage device instead (hard drive, usb drive, solid state etc) which basically slows down the entire process.
The only other way I can find of describing it is this. If you're a super fast office worker but have a tiny desk its useless as most of the things you're working on will take up your time being shuffled around in and out of trays and filing cabinets. The bigger the desk, the more work space you have to keep multiple bits of work on the go at the same time and thus you save time from having to shuffle it all around etc.
Make sense?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Interested
Grafter

Yes. Explaination makes sense.
Being at Uni as a mature student and with computers at a premium, but more annoyingly taking around 10-12 minutes to log on to system, I thought I take in my laptop. However though it's much faster than computers, i've found it rather heavy  to carry and thought rather than struggle I'd treat myself to something smaller and lighter.
I only want to run Microsoft Office obviously that going to take up about 300 MB for word plus another 200MB for adobe reader and 100MB for antivirus. plus probably dig out my PAYG mobile dongle if I can get a seat commuting.
Uni system runs Win XP and do have annoying compatibility messages with vista and java so certainly wouldn't want win 7.
BTW I do understand enough physics (acoustics) for my course, though I've been told my written English is diabolical.
Interested
Grafter

I also need to keep Powerpoint and Excel (not just Microsoft word as my previous post reads).
Thanks guys for info so far. Smiley
How come the Atom has a cycles per second (GHz) rating but Celeron M info has just a power usage info?
Sorry to be a pain but I like to understand the full picture.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Interested
certainly wouldn't want win 7.

You have been misinformed...... Cry
Interested
Grafter

Is windows 7 fully compatible with XP then?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Obviously not, but it's better than Vista.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

But no improvement over XP.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Interested
Grafter

OK it's late, so excuse my ignorance.
Is Win 7 more or less compatible than vista with XP?
I would have been under the impression that Vista, for all its faults, is more likely to have less compatibility issues than win 7 with XP.
As I access the uni intranet 6 days a week on average I don't want more headache even if I've got less backache with a lighter netbook/notebook.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Win 7 is essentially a Vista core but improved.
Before W7, most Netbooks shipped with XP rather than Vista because they would not run Vista at acceptable speed.  W7 is said to be much better than Vista in this respect, is does also have a Netbook version which might have a different (XP??) core which was never possible with Vista.
I have a Netbook using XP and it is a little slow but overall I find it excellent for what it does, I'm sorry I have no experience of the W7 versions.  If it's software compatibility that you are mainly concerned about then I'd try to find an older model shipped with XP.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I would check out the University computing facilities.
You should be able to use their computers, software etc for free (on site).
Presumably they can supply you with the minimum spec required for a PC off-site.
This will also give you access to Student Licences if you enjoy reading those EULA things. Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

also you should try the free open office it will open all M$S office files and write to them as well.  most netbooks come with M$S works and maybe a 30 day trial of word.  Also the new netbooks coming on the market nearly all have Win7, you will have to find a stock one to get XP, so dont leave it to long
I have an original Asus with Linux and SWMBO has a Medium 10" with XP and 160GB HD, both WiFi and ethernet and 5 USB,  no CD, put got a Maplin CnM CD-RW/DVD works on both