cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor Upgrade

Mav
Fixes: 515

Processor Upgrade

I am thinking of upgrading my processor.
I currently have a Gigabyte M61P-S3 Motherboard with 2GB RAM and the AMD Sempron 3400+ with just over 1TB of HDD between PATA & SATA drives.
Will I get much speed increase (especially with video encoding) if I upgraded to an Athlon 64 2x 5200 Dual Core AM2 2.7GHZ 1MB Cache processor?
Also, if I were to upgrade would I need to re-install XP?
Thanks

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Processor Upgrade

Yes to the first question
No to the second.
Your current processor runs at 2GHz. The new one at 2.7GHz which gives a 30% improvement straight away. The new one also has more on-board and faster cache & a faster internal bus so is a much faster number cruncher that the Sempron, which is basically an entry level (i.e. cheap) processor.
Also depending on what software you use, it could make use of the 2 processors compared to the one in the Sepron so speed could increase again by a factor of 1.2 -> 2.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Thanks for the advice.
Pretty much confirms what I was thinking.
Does anyone know if Ebuyer is reputable for OEM processor chips? Are they brand new?
Cheers

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well I've not had any problems with ebuyer, but have heard some horror stories. I prefer to shop at http://www.aria.co.uk these days, they have fantastic customer service and are one of the cheaper online stores to boot.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I tend to use Scan as my first port of call - it helps that I get free postage  Grin