Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procedure to upgrade from W7 to W10

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Procedure to upgrade from W7 to W10

Hi all,
Firstly, is it now safe to upgrade to W10 (meaning have the bugs been ironed out)?
Secondly, where can I find the step by step procedure for this upgrade?
Thirdly, how do I back-up W7 setup just in case things go wrong?
Lastly, Is 256GB USB Flash Drive big enough for backup?
Will appreciate help with the above.
Many regards,
12 REPLIES 12
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Procedure to upgrade from W7 to W10

I think it is signficant to note, that all the Windows 10 devotees and users are keeping very quiet....    Lips_are_sealed
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I have been out all day  Shutter  Wink
Despite other peoples choices i find win10 excellent and have been using it for past 8 month 
Two ways for the upgrade either the windows update via win 7 or here /www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
when it installs it should ask you if you want to save files , and will do automatically save for you .
the size for your backup depends on size of files you wish to save  , 
Enjoy  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@shutter
No I'm just fed up with people not using the search on this forum as all these questions have been answered. I have no wish to constantly have to tell people what information they can quickly find for themselves.  Angry

Windows 10 (for me) is the best version yet (been using Windows since it was a runtime only on DOS in the 80's)  Cheesy
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Mav
Fixes: 515

I have installed W10 on my laptop. I really dislike and certainly don't find it as intuitive and easy to use as W7 but that may just me be and not liking change
I will persevere with in on the laptop but have no intention of installing it on my PC. Will wait and see what the options are when full support for W7 is withdrawn.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Mav i find in more like win7 than any version of win8
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Mav
Fixes: 515

Agreed...
My daughter has W8 (she did upgrade to 8.1 but reverted back) and I hated it.
I simply prefer the look and feel of W7. I know many have said you can change settings and even add apps that make it look and feel like W7 which makes me think why not just stick with W7 Roll_eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The main reason the people running Windows 10 are keeping quiet is because they are not having any problems.
I've upgraded three PCs to Windows 10. The 4th PC we use is still on XP because the hardware is too old and the CPU doesn't have the needed instruction set to run a later version.
The one thing I might suggest is backing everything up and doing a clean install rather than an upgrade.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Mav
I simply prefer the look and feel of W7.

I generally agree with that but I've still 'upgraded' all my W7 machines (and several at work) to W10. (Pretty sure'll get used to the new look/feel of W10 before W7 support ends).
Quote from: jelv
The main reason the people running Windows 10 are keeping quiet is because they are not having any problems.

I pretty much agree with that too.
Quote from: jelv
The one thing I might suggest is backing everything up and doing a clean install rather than an upgrade.

I've done all mine except one just by using the 'update' option, no problems so far on any of them.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Back on topic - well nearly
I have a dual boot system Vista which I never use and Win 7 both 64 bit
The boot order etc. is controlled from the Vista partition as that was there first
When upgrading the Win 7 to Win 10 is all that left untouched
Assuming it is - is there a way in Win 10 to move the boot control to the Win 10 partition
Alternatively
If I delete the Vista partition is there an easy fix for the resulting problems with Win 10 when I haven't got an install disk (I know I can make one if needed)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Oldjim
The boot order etc. is controlled from the Vista partition as that was there first

That must be the Win 7 bootloader but located in the Vista partition (It can't be a vista bootloader since Vista had no way of knowing about Win 7 when it was installed first).
Upgrading to Win 10 should preserve things 'as is' but simply replace the Win7 boot entry with Win10.
You should be able to change the location of the bootloader by editing the BCD thing (that'll need a bit of help from Google or others) - You could making a full backup then try to relocate the bootloader before upgrading to Win 10 but my experience of trying such things (using BCDEdit) has not been too good.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro

@OJ my experience of partitions on the master drive was windows 10 formatted the drive into a single partition and deleted the other versions of windows, if you really want to keep your system as dual boot then disable UEFI in the mobo's bios, enable the boot loader (os /hdd boot choice menu after post) clone the vista partition onto a separate drive and unplug it after confirming it works before starting the windows 10 upgrade, its possible doing the W10 upgrade wont delete the vista partition or render it inaccessible but I wouldn't count on it
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
chandu
Rising Star

Quote from: SpendLessTime
@shutter
No I'm just fed up with people not using the search on this forum as all these questions have been answered.

Thank you SpendLessTime.  I appreciate your feedback.  You have been very kind.