cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with my VOIP service - used to be just fine.....

pauljs
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Problems with my VOIP service - used to be just fine.....

Hi,  

I recently joined Plusnet from SSE and previous to that Sky BB.  I use VOIP on a pap2 and with a service called voipfone. Ever since joining plusnet I have been having QOS issues with my VOIP whenever someting else is using significant bandwidth on my connection.  I was led to belive that plusnet do QOS on live/streaming/voice packets but it does not seem to be working for me at all.

I have tried changing to a skinnier codec - did not work

Tried adjusting jitter settings - no joy

Tried changing my SIP port from the default 5060 to 5065 - no change

Tried tweaking my RTP ports - no luck.

Tried the supplied PN hub zero router - no difference (I am using a trusted and stable Technicolor TG589vn v3 which has been faultless and stable for over 2 years on VOIP/SIP.

I'm getting to the end of my tether a bit and was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions as to why my SIP/VOIP traffic is not being prioritized over windows updates and general downloads.  It is making the use of my VOIP almost impossible.  I have to turn off all my devices when making or receiving a VOIP call.  talked to Voipfone and they told me that it must be a network congestion issue or prioritization issue.

I would call PN technical suport but was on the phone over 30 minutes waiting last time.

Can anyone help?

thanks

Paul

6 REPLIES 6
pauljs
Grafter

Re: Problems with my VOIP service - used to be just fine.....

By the way - forgot to say.  I am on ADSL and get about 8000kbps down and 1000kbps up.

Line is good and stable.

pauljs
Grafter

Anyone?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

PlusNet QoS only operates on the downstream. You would need to put any upstream QoS in your router. I THINK the TG589 can do it but very likely only from the Telnet CLI

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pauljs
Grafter

Hi,

Thanks for that info.  Unfortunately I don't believe the Technicolor has any QOS settings even via telnet (but I'm very happy to be told otherwise).  The oddest thing is that for 2 years on the said router (with 2 different ISP's) I never had even the merest hint of a problem.  The day after I move to plusnet (and for the last 2 months) all of the problems started to happen.

Isn't it the downstream that's causing the issue anyway?  It seems to happen consistently when my computer decides to download updates from Microsoft.  If PN ware QOS-ing the downsteam then wouldn't the downstream VOIP be prioritised over the downstream updates?Huh

This is why I'm so confused (and annoyed and worried).  

To be honest (and it saddens me) I am just waiting for the 12 months to be up to move away because of this and that is not what I really want to do but I fear I have no choice other than to spend hundreds on a business grade ADSL router that does QOS up/down.   Why only Plusnet and not the same problem with Sky and SSE?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The TG582n I had with O2/Sky allowed QOS to be enabled via Telnet so I'd be surprised if the TG589 didn't have that facility. Time to Google the CLI manual methinks Cheesy

pauljs
Grafter

I have lived and learned....  Thanks for that.  I guess it is the ipqos commands but the manual is a bit double dutch to me if I am honest. 

If someone can take pity on me and point me to the right QOS settings (commands) I would be most grateful indeed.  Bit out of my depth looking at the CLI manual 🙂

I would like to reserve 10% of upstream bandwidth (around 100Kbps) for my SIP port 5060 and/or rtp ports 16384-16484. That should hopefully be enough for my Protocol (G726-32) - that is the lightest protocol that Voipfone supports and is available on my PAP2 (it doesn't have GSM sadly and voipfone don't support G729a

thanks again.

Paul

Not sure if it will help but should do no harm I guess(hope)

Still don't really get why it has only started happening on PN and not on Sky or SSE though.  Most strange.