cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with input from keyboard and scroll wheel?

anotherbob
Grafter

Problems with input from keyboard and scroll wheel?

My PC has developed a strange problem. I can be typing into a text window (like this one or Notepad) and suddenly my input stops appearing and I hear a tinny tone for each key press. I notice that the colour at the top of the window goes paler as this happens. Also if I am scrolling down a list on screen using the scroll wheel on the mouse it stops responding. The mouse pointer continues to move OK.
This is happening roughly every 50 seconds. I can restore input simply by left-clicking but then it will recur 50 secs. later. My keyboard is wired PS2 but I have a wireless mouse. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.
Can anyone offer a solution.
3 REPLIES 3
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Problems with input from keyboard and scroll wheel?

It sounds like there's another process running that is grabbing focus away from what you're doing.
You'll need to check what processes are running to see if there's a likely culprit (especially if you've installed something recently), and do a malware and virus scan
Twills
Grafter

Good morning,
This is usually caused by an issue with a windows system file (the actual name escapes me but a google search would uncover it.) SFC /scannow command will recover but I believe you should do run it while booting from an installation disk so that your operating system isn't currently loading. If this is a problem there may be an option to run the scan, restart and run the scan again pre-loading.
full details can be found here (3rd party site but safe and reliable)
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html
Hope that helps Smiley
Twills.
anotherbob
Grafter

Quote from: Twills
SFC /scannow command will recover but I believe you should do run it while booting from an installation disk so that your operating system isn't currently loading. If this is a problem there may be an option to run the scan, restart and run the scan again pre-loading.
full details can be found here (3rd party site but safe and reliable)
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html
Hope that helps Smiley
Twills.

Thanks for that.
I don't have an installation disc, and I'm afraid the instructions for the second option are beyond my expertise.
I tried running sfc /scannow from a command prompt (as admin) and this did not produce a cure.